PRE OPS: Never had surgery? Here's what to expect!

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/10 4:48 am
"So, yes, LADIES MOTHER NATURE WILL COME."

... in buckets, repeatedly, and whenever the hell she feels like it.  Feh.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/5/10 11:42 pm - Burlington County, NJ
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/10 12:30 pm - Newark, DE
Excellent, well explained post. I just want to add that in my experience, when I woke up in the Recovery room my lips were "in flames"; this means very dry and hurting, so I had to use vaseline provided by the hospital meannwhile my husband was alowed to see me and give me my chapstick. Please do not forget your lip balm, you may need it very, very much.
Something else, contrary to Elizabeth, instead of cold I was terribly hot as a consequence of the anesthesia. My DS was in february and it was cold, I made my husband crank the AC to the lowest, had a fan brought to my room blowing directly to me, had my socks removed and two ice packs in my nape.  This happened to me and last two days. The temperature was increased little by little after that, the fan and ice packs were no longer necessary.  
A previous surgery years ago also made me feel very hot but much less than the DS.  So, be warned it is possible for anyone, but is temporary. No problem.

I wish success and good health for everyone.

Peace and good.

Elizabeth N.
on 4/9/11 10:30 am - Burlington County, NJ
rebeccaford
on 10/30/10 1:09 pm - Honolulu, HI
That was awesome!! 
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

yasulh
on 10/30/10 1:16 pm - Augusta, GA
Thanks for this thread - I have bookmarked it! My mother had the surgery almost three years ago now, and I stayed with her through her recovery process, but everyone is different. As I prepare to have my surgery in just over two weeks, it is helpful to be reminded of all of these little details!

Tonia

RNY 11/15/2010

HW 280ish

SW (after 6 month diet) 247

Lowest post-surgery 183

Current 241

Considering revision to DS - have appointment 8/15/2017

"Just Elizabeth "
on 10/30/10 2:32 pm - Houston, TX
My experience was a little different since I had my surgery here in Kuwait.

A friend of mine had an RNY with the same surgeon the day before I had my DS. I got to the hospital, filled out all my paperwork then dumped my stuff in my room. Then I headed down to my friend's room to check on her. That's where the nursing staff tracked me down.

I went back to my room, took everything off and put on the backless gown. My friend and her husband came down to see me off. I then climbed on the gurney and they took me down to the OR waiting room. I was in a private hospital so I had that room to myself. I laid in there talking to the nurse. I got really cold at this point and she got me a warmed blanket. She checked me over before they rolled me into the OR.

Once I got into the OR they checked my vitals, restuck me for the IV port since the original one had clotted and was useless and checked my fingernails and toenails. That's when they removed my toenail polish which I took exception to. After all, I had just put it on the night before. I didn't know they were going to need to see my nail beds. That caused a laugh in the OR.

The next thing I remember was when I woke up back in my room. My surgeon was standing over me talking about the surgery to two other doctors. I was still pretty groggy at the time. He flipped back my sheet and was talking about the surgery. "And she did this. And she did that." At which time I pipe up from the bed "And she's naked." After the stunned silence they burst out laughing. "Uh...yeah. We saw it all in the operating room." "Okay." and I was back out.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

Elizabeth N.
on 4/9/11 10:31 am - Burlington County, NJ
ABath
on 7/19/11 1:05 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13
ABath
on 7/19/11 1:08 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13
THANK YOU for the laugh (and yes I'm sitting in my VERY quiet office and laughed out loud)! I have one more apt each with my NUT, PCP, and Psych and will then be submitted to insurance for the DS. I'm scared to death and your post gave me a much needed chuckle.
Most Active