Study: Long Term Outcomes of Lap Band

Katester
on 4/14/11 2:20 am
ya know that's funny that this "old study" on a LapBand is "bad, outdated, old"...whatever you wanna call it but in a previous post I read from you, you stated the VSG is like the old stomach stapleing your sister got int he 80's and failed at....when it comes to the allmighty lapband, "old" studies don't count. hmm....
"Any time you have living tissue in contact with something artificial, in this case the lap band the tissue if under too much tension can't get proper blood flow. As the tissue dies, it can't resist the pressure of the band and it erodes into the stomach"

And this is the same thing that will eventually happen to anyone with a band around their stomach. YOU included, perfect band poster child. The human body is just not made to have artificial objects in them. It will reject the object eventually.
Nic M
on 4/14/11 2:27 am
This is exactly what I have been saying, too.  The manner of stitching doesn't matter at all... pars flaccida method or superglue and rivets... until our bodies evolve in a manner that living tissue isn't affected by an object touching it, the band is going to be harmful. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Katester
on 4/14/11 3:53 am
THANK YOU! Glad I'm not the only one who see's the "common sense" in this...
psychomom
on 4/12/11 2:49 am - China Grove, NC
While it might be good info and it does qualify as a long term study the info is not really relevant to what we as newly banded ppl should expect .Like a previous poster stated with the entry of the pars flaccida application and the newer band models in 14 yrs I think we will all see great improvements and less issues. In fact there there are studies that support this fact. Another member on our board has posted one in fact.
I find it really  weird that someone who has chosen a different surgery would take the time to research and bash another one. Sad.

So Blessed!
on 4/12/11 3:17 am

I find it really  weird that someone who has chosen a different surgery would take the time to research and bash another one.

I didn't.   

I logged onto my e-mail this morning and "Weight Loss Surgery" was one of the high trending searches today.  I clicked on the link to see what was the big deal.  It brought me to this study.  I copied and pasted the abstract to this board for discussion.

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/11 5:06 am - San Diego, CA
I see your point in why you posted this study, as it does relate to WLS - and I am readily familiar with your posts and do not think your intention was to start a war.  

However, if I posted an article on a long-term study regarding the old school 70's and 80's stomach stapling technique (EGADS!!!) which killed so many people, I sure hope the RNY'ers that have the new method (like me) would rebut and inform the forum readers that this study is thoroughly moot since the new, more effective RNY procedure is now being done (and has been for years, just like the improved banding method).

That's all we bandsters are doing here.  No harm, no foul! :) 

I am 2 years out from my revision surgery (band-over-bypass) and have to say *my* experience has been nothing short of stellar with the band thus far.  I have been 20+ lbs under goal for 15 months now with ease.  Moreover, my ongoing, continued therapy with a WLS expert has healed my "fat" brain which makes it much easier to be fully compliant and successful long term, no matter WHAT WLS you have chosen as your own.  You have to be healed psychologically from the horrendous effects of lifelong obesity (in my case) and get to the root of the problems to permanently fix nagging food issues.  They need to do a study on THAT - long term success with ANY WLS without therapy. Because that is why I gained weight and needed a revision at 7 years out from my RNY - poor choices and mental food issues caused my pouch to stretch - not because my RNY failed ME. I wish I would have sought therapy the first time around 9 1/2 years ago.

Just my two cents.

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/13/11 10:54 am
On April 12, 2011 at 10:17 AM Pacific Time, So Blessed! wrote:

I find it really  weird that someone who has chosen a different surgery would take the time to research and bash another one.

I didn't.   

I logged onto my e-mail this morning and "Weight Loss Surgery" was one of the high trending searches today.  I clicked on the link to see what was the big deal.  It brought me to this study.  I copied and pasted the abstract to this board for discussion.

anyone familiar with this forum has read your posts and knows your intentions are good!! 

you are a class act, Ma'am!  

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

MARIA F.
on 4/12/11 12:46 pm - Athens, GA

~psychomom's reply was:
Where exactly did you get your 50% have to have their bands removed fact? Or the 1 in 3 have erosion fact ? Simply BS !!!! Plain and simple . Please , if you can , post the website where you got these...~

I got it from READING the article! Perhaps YOU should have done that b4 acting like I don't know what I'm talking about!

Why do you write this crap and then delete it anyway???

FormerlyFluffy.com

psychomom
on 4/12/11 9:25 pm - China Grove, NC
BECAUSE I DID GO BACK AND REFERENCE THE ARTICLE ! Why would you post on my DELETED post ???? You are SO bitter and angry because YOU do not like YOUR band ! If you put as much energy into YOUR issues with YOUR band as you do bashing the band in general and those of us who want it or have it already YOU may have more success AND not be so negative!!!!  One way or another I hope you find peace with the decision YOU made to have the band placed just please quit doing it as the bitter victim . It gets real old .

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 1:05 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On April 13, 2011 at 4:25 AM Pacific Time, psychomom wrote:
BECAUSE I DID GO BACK AND REFERENCE THE ARTICLE ! Why would you post on my DELETED post ???? You are SO bitter and angry because YOU do not like YOUR band ! If you put as much energy into YOUR issues with YOUR band as you do bashing the band in general and those of us who want it or have it already YOU may have more success AND not be so negative!!!!  One way or another I hope you find peace with the decision YOU made to have the band placed just please quit doing it as the bitter victim . It gets real old .
My daughter and I have each had two bands placed. Both of hers have removed, I'm next. Was my banding experience negative ? Yes and no. Am I a bitter victim ? No, but I will do my best to discourage people from having a band placed when IMO there are better products out there.

I think two things that bother me the most are:

1. People who choose the band based on the assumption that it is " Minimally Invasive " That is FALSE information.

2. People who are territorial over their surgery choice.
Most Active