weight loss stalled 3 weeks after RNY

Karen W.
on 4/30/11 11:38 pm - Canada
This is my first time posting.  I had RNY three weeks ago and my weight loss has stalled already.  I lost 15 lbs in the 3 weeks prior to surgery (on the Opti-fast program), then lost 7 lbs in the first week after surgery, 4 1/2 in the second week, and less than half a pound in the third week.  My caloric intake is 500-600 calories/day, I am getting at least 60 g protein/day, 2 L of water, and am taking all of my vitamins.  I'm starting to wonder if this might not work for me, just as everything else hasn't worked.  I would love to hear from anyone else who experienced this, especially if things turned around and you ended up losing weight in the long run!
Elizabeth N.
on 5/1/11 12:29 am - Burlington County, NJ

The following explanation is courtesy of Diana Cox:

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.
As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

MsBatt
on 5/1/11 2:51 am
Don't you have a thread about this somewhere? Time to bump it, I think.
Elizabeth N.
on 5/1/11 6:25 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yeah, I'll do that. Bump me too willya? 
silly_sandy
on 5/1/11 1:37 am - IL
This happened to me, too.  Three weeks out and now almost 8 weeks out.  So frustrating!  ARGH!  I am starting to feel like I lost more on the Medifast diet and on my own than the surgery so far.  Lost a bunch of weight on my 6 month supervised diet.  I think it's just our body's way of catching up with the weight loss we've had so far.  Maybe up your protein and change up your exercise plan?  Add some weights?  You are not alone!  I guess I thought I'd get on the scale and see me down a pound every day.  That's not happening.  Hang in there!  We'll lose eventually!

HW: 307  SW:  254  CW: 177 GW: 150
karit222
on 5/1/11 1:58 am - St. Charles, IL
You are definitely not alone. I am just nearing the 3 month mark and my 3 week stall has finally broken. I did have a stricture and had that corrected 1 month ago today. After the scope, I was finally able to keep foods down but i think my body's reaction was to hold on to every calorie i put in. I really tried to up my protein intake to 80g a day and really made sure i was getting enough fluids. I am now down roughly 65 lbs since my surgery. I went for my first long walk  (1 hour) yesterday and for the first time my feet and ankles were not killing me!! It felt great.

I was in a similar position as you and everyone here on the boards was so helpful and encouraged me to be patient. I was and things are looking up. I was asking myself everyday "what did i do?" but everyone said the first months are the hardest. Things are going to get better for you. During my  stall the numbers didn't move but my clothes (and shoes) still got looser. 

Have patience - it will get better. Your body just has to get used to the changes.  

Jennifer M.
on 5/1/11 3:04 am
Same here ..had a 3 week stall. Brought my concern to message board and got replies like "ooooh the dreaded 3 week stall" . So I think its a common occurance...just keep doing what you are supposed to do..it WILL come off. Your words are almost identical to mine and many others that Ive seen posted.

Karen W.
on 5/1/11 3:58 am - Canada
Thanks so much for all of the encouraging feedback!  I definitely need some encouragement around this.  I intend to hang in there and, if I continue to remain "stalled", I'll bring it up at my next post-surgical appt.
Cheryl Allan
on 5/1/11 7:26 am - Canada
Is also at 3 weeks and a bit and has only lost 15 lbs, i hid my scales i am only going to weigh myself once a month, I am not concerned after reading everyones posts we will all loose it in the end some faster than others so I hang in there and anything thats going in the downward directions is great....hang in there and good luck
Cheryl Allan

HW...355......SW....322...CW 281

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/11 7:04 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Totally NORMAL!!!! Just keep doing what you should be doing and stay off the scale and everything will be OK.
Most Active