Money I saved after having WLS

Suzanne B.
on 5/6/11 3:01 pm, edited 5/6/11 3:03 pm - OR
Hi Everyone,

I thought about how much WLS cost and then I sat down and did a little calculation on what I would save each month. I was amazed when I figured out that is sure didn’t take me long to pay myself back because I wasn’t spending as much for food, medication, doctor’s visits, eating out and less gas for my car because I walked a lot more and did my shopping on my walks. 

Yes self-pay does cost us more. I gave up waiting for an insurance company to say yes, because I knew that they just weren’t going to do it and I wasn’t willing to give away any more days of my life. I knew Dr. Aceves was the best and that was just where I was going. Check out my numbers and think about how fast you actually recover your initial investment in yourself.

Suzanne

Sleeved 10/21/2008

Total weight lost 105 pounds
Item Saving Costs per month Savings Cost of my Sleeve Surgery
Food $150.00 $1,800.00 by Dr. Aceves
Eating out $150.00 $1,800.00  
Medication $75.00 $900.00  
Doctor $100.00 $1,200.00  
Gas/walk more $25.00 $300.00  
Saving per month $500.00    

Total savings for 1 year $6,000.00 $8,700.00

How long it took me to pay myself back    
for my WLS because I was saving each    
month because I wasn't eating as much    
or going to the doctor as much and    
taking less medication.     
So at the end of 17 months I had saved    
enough money to pay myself back what I    
spent for the cost of my WLS. AREN'T YOU WORTH THE COST OF THE SURGERY?
  Take care, and be happy,
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Ladytazz
on 5/6/11 3:17 pm
I thought I would be saving a ton of money, too, but between what I spend on protein and vitamins and higher quality food I am out money every month.  The diet I was eating before was refined carb heavy and those are pretty cheap.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Suzanne B.
on 5/7/11 2:53 am - OR
Hi,

The one thing you do have is much better health and in the long run you will save money.  Chicken is a pretty cheap form of protein and so are eggs.  As time goes on you will figure out that you have actually saved money.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
MacMadame
on 5/6/11 3:48 pm - Northern, CA
I'm afraid to do such a calculation because I'm pretty sure I spend more money now. LOL

Seriously, I buy more clothes (and had to buy a whole new wardrobe) and now I do triathlons and running races and triathlon (in particular) is an expensive hobby. I also spend as much money on food as ever because I buy protein shakes and vitamins and supplements and I buy a lot more organic food and fresh healthy food and a lot less of the cheap processed stuff. I also am spending as much on medical as before -- I got injured running and I am always getting PT and I even got an MRI and those things ain't cheap!

But I don't care. This surgery wasn't about saving money for me. It was about restoring my quality of life. Which is priceless as far as I'm concerned.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Amy R.
on 5/6/11 4:42 pm
But I don't care. This surgery wasn't about saving money for me. It was about restoring my quality of life. Which is priceless as far as I'm concerned.

Exactlly.     =)
Suzanne B.
on 5/7/11 3:10 am - OR
Hi,

You are so right about this.  It is about our health and how we feel and it is priceless.  Congratulations and I love the way you are thinking.

Hug,
Suzie
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Suzanne B.
on 5/7/11 2:57 am - OR
Hi,

And there is NO price to put on good health.  You really have saved money if you consider you don't eat as much.  You can't count the cost of a doctor because of your injury. 

Yes, I will agree with you about clothes.  I sold some of my old clothes and so at first it didn't cost me as much.  I am a pretty good shopper and find some good deals on clothing. 

Congratulations for your great success.
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
MacMadame
on 5/7/11 7:41 am - Northern, CA
Ah but I actually eat about the same... because I exercise so much. I eat about 2000 calories a day at this time of year.

This is why everyone should take up triathlon! LOL

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Suzanne B.
on 5/7/11 8:58 am - OR
Hi,

Congratulations to you!  You are amazing--but that is NOT for me.  I am wearing a shirt right now made by NIKE that says "RUNNING SUCKS"  I admire you for running, but when I see a runner who is smiling and having a good time, then I will take up running--most of you look like you are not enjoying the running, until then, I think it will be walking and maybe swimming.  So that is it for me.  I don't think I could eat 2000 a day like you are able to, and I understand why you can. 

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Carrie N.
on 5/6/11 5:56 pm - Pigeon Forge, TN
I spend waaaaaaay more!  I am out doing a lot more, zip lines, zorbing, horseback riding, etc., and none of that stuff comes cheap!  And now I shop......a LOT.  And no more cheap Fashion Bug and Lane Bryant clothes.  Now I shop at Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, Banana Republic, Calvin Klein, etc.  But, it's all good with me. ;)
Carrie
385/199 goal/139 current
6' Tall
bmi 18.8  - 1 LB AWAY FROM BEING UNDERWEIGHT  

Surgery Date 8/2/2005
Most Active