New Patient and in need of advice and encouragement

virvin
on 5/11/11 6:25 am - CO
Thank you for all the replies.  I guess my big concern with the sleeve instead of the full bypass is that I won't lose as much weight.  I weigh 310 and want to get to 200.  I hear the bypass is the route to go if you have a lot of weight to lose.  I've talked with the surgeon and he said that he would okay the bypass and the sleeve...so now I have to choose.  He did say that with arthritis, the best choice may be the sleeve.  But won't most of my arthritis issue go away when I lose the weight?
Amy R.
on 5/11/11 7:18 am
But won't most of my arthritis issue go away when I lose the weight?

Be careful with this train of thought.  There is no guarantee your arthritis will even get better post-op, much less go away.  Mine has gotten considerably better (I've lost a total of approx 170lbs) but I still have problems. And I have a friend or 3 who have had the RnY, lost the weight, and had their arthritis stay the same or even get worse.    =(

Just want you to know there are no guarantees, and managing inflammation is AWFUL with no NSAIDS.  It *can* be done - but it's not pretty.

Good luck to you on your journey.
MsBatt
on 5/11/11 10:51 am
On May 11, 2011 at 1:25 PM Pacific Time, virvin wrote:
Thank you for all the replies.  I guess my big concern with the sleeve instead of the full bypass is that I won't lose as much weight.  I weigh 310 and want to get to 200.  I hear the bypass is the route to go if you have a lot of weight to lose.  I've talked with the surgeon and he said that he would okay the bypass and the sleeve...so now I have to choose.  He did say that with arthritis, the best choice may be the sleeve.  But won't most of my arthritis issue go away when I lose the weight?
Your arthritis will hopefully GET BETTER when you lose weight, but the damage of years of being heavy won't go away. Your arthritis may not, either. And NSAIDs are used for a lot of other pain, too---headache, sprains, menstrual cramps, fever---and you'd be amazed at the things that contain NSAIDs.

My arthritis is as painful now as it was pre-op---I'm just able to do more things for the same amount of pain. I'd be lost without my NSAIDs.

If you really want the best long-term, MAINTAINED weight loss, look into the DS (duodenal switch). The DS really IS the way to go if you have a lot of weight to lose.

What's your current BMI? If you want 200 to be your 'goal weight', you'd need to be 6'3" to have a 'normal' BMI at 200 pounds. That would give you a current BMI of 38.7---IF you are 6'3" tall.

As for your surgeon saying he would "okay" the bypass and the Sleeve---the decision isn't, or shouldn't be, his to make. YOU are the one who needs to 'okay' the WLS that's right for you, then choose a surgeon who's competent to perform that surgery for you. YOU are the employER, the surgeon is the employEE. You can always fire him. (*grin*)
martitalinda
on 5/11/11 6:33 am
 I would research all available options and choose the best option that fits your own personal needs ... this is a major decision that should not be taken lightly and it certainly is not a one size fits all type of situation.  Please research extensively, consult, ask questions and SEE for yourself ...there are seminars and groups of actual people available ....

Always think about yourself and how this decision will affect You it is your body and the changes will affect YOUR body and no one elses.  I personally chose my surgery based on my 5 co-morbidities including gastroesophageal reflux for which I was on Nexium for years as well as other factors that influenced my decision and I have no regrets living a wonderful post-op life that I enjoy incorporating a healthy diet and exercise... my friend and former classmate is thriving with his DS and is doing fantastic ... I provided him with links with good information that I found on here and my peer and co-worker is doing fabulous with her lapband and we both went to the seminar together and had the same group of doctors yet we chose different venues to match our own personal situation.

There is the opportunity for each to benefit from the respective surgeries according to their own needs/goals or acceptance of the different regimens to follow.  This decision affects you and you only ... please make sure you are fully informed.  You have gotten excellent input here ... I wish you nothing but the best on whatever you decide...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Julie R.
on 5/11/11 11:04 am - Ludington, MI
 You stated in one of your responses that your surgeon recommended one of two surgeries for you - the VSG or the RNY.   That's because those are the surgeries he performs.    If he sells Toyotas and Nissan's, he's not going to recommend you buy a Honda, right?    There ARE other options for you, and that's the DS.    I fear that at 310 pounds, the VSG isn't going to take you or keep you to where you want to go.

I'm not one to shove my surgical choice down anyone's throat, but really, you need to seriously consider ALL of your options.     
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active