Be Informed

Suzanne B.
on 5/12/11 2:25 am - OR
HI,

This is about you and your health.  Don't be afraid to question or ask all kinds of questions when it comes to your OWN health.  We are making a big decision when it comes to having weight loss surgery.

Ask other people that you know who have had weight loss surgery what kind they had, what were the good, bad and ugly parts of their surgery.??????

You have the Internet at your finger tips.  Spend a great deal of time checking out the different kinds of surgery that are available. Who are the doctors with great track records. 

Go to any site that you can find once you have figured out what kind of surgery will work for you and educate yourself and learn all you can.  They do NOT write it in technical terms.  It is easy to understand. Start making a list of question that you have. 

Check you local hospitals, doctors and ask around about these doctors and hospital. Be open to having it done outside of the US.  You are on an excellent site ask people on this site about there experience and who and where they had their surgery with.

You HAVE THE RIGHT to have the very best you can.  Not all of us could get our insurance to pay for it.  I was 63 when I had my surgery and I didn't have a lifetime I wanted to devote to fighting with the insurance company--so I was a self pay.   Go to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) look at anything you can find about WLS. 

I think if you are on this site, you want to have WLS or already have and are trying to help and guide others.  I wish you great success in your journey.  WLS does work, but you have to be willing to put effort and time into it.  It is only a tool to allow you to lose weight.  Exercise is a part of the weight loss too. It required you to put a LOT of effort into making good food choices and becoming healthy.

If you have any questions ask me, I will tell you about my experience and how I lost 105 pounds and have kept it off.

Hugs,
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
creationsbykim
on 5/12/11 11:35 am - Tempe, AZ
I have been going back and worth with WLS.  I had planning on doing it 3 yrs ago and lost some weight, so I didn't do it.  Now, I am almost 300# at 5'5 and 40 yrs old.  I used to look at someone that was 400 plus lbs and think, why did they allow themselves to become that, now, I see the same pictures - I know that I will be that if I don't do something now.

I am looking into surgery, but my doctor warned me again lapband and said to have the regular sugery.  I don't remember much of the research that I did before, so I am starting all over again.  What is the majority of ppl doing?  Why are did they chose it? 

Any help would be appreciated kindly!

Hugs,
Kim in AZ
Suzanne B.
on 5/12/11 3:55 pm - OR
Hi Kim,

I agree 200% with your doctor.  The lapband is NOT the way to go. I had what they call the VSG or better known as the sleeve.  It is fabulous, and requires no maintenance.  The remove 80% of your stomach (don't pani****  It is really great, you never feel hungry.  Your new and improved stomach only holds 6 to 8 oz of food.  The first month is the most difficult because you have to do liquids (10 days of nothing but clear liquids the first 10 days.) Then 10 days of creamy liquids, and then 10 days of mush liquids.  Trust me you can do anything for 30 days and after the 1st 10 days things got a whole lot easier.

This is a tool to allow you to achieve your weight loss--not a miracle cure to melt the fat off you.  This type of surgery really is what a big % of the people are doing.  I will tell you that it will take awhile to get some insurance companies to agree to pay for WLS.  I just gave up and became a self pay.  And I am glad I was, because I loved my doctor that did mine.  I had the sleeve surgery done 2 1/2 years ago, I was 63 at the time and I am 65 now.  I have maintained my weight loss and I lost 105 pounds. 

I will tell you that I went to Mexico to do it and it was the best choice I ever made.  If you want to know more just let me know.  I am more than happy to answer any and all your questions.

I will never to the game of lose it gain it back, lose it gain it back.  I am healthy and I love my choice.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Most Active