Atheist Devotional #254 (WWJD about the Occupy Movement Edition)

MsBatt
on 12/15/11 5:37 am
Rags, I know you have a strong faith, and this isn't intended to disparage that.

To me, religion---all religion---is a method for a few to control the masses. The priests relay the word of the gods to the unwashed masses, and it return, the masses support the priests. The masses have historically obeyed because of fear---fear of punishment by the very gods who supposedly love them.

Sounds like a racket ti me.
(deactivated member)
on 12/15/11 6:20 am - TX
I know that in practice it often works that way.  Humans can be power seekers and self-serving.  

I also know that the Gospel doesn't involve fear, in fact it promises freedom from fear.   

If fear is involved, the message has been corrupted.  And sadly that happens all too often.  Some people get obsessed with depopulating Hell rather than building the Kingdom.  

I'm so incredibly sorry the Christian Church has come to have this reputation.  It grieves me.

(And LeeAnn, I apologiize if I've hijacked your thread.  It really wasn't intentional.)
LeaAnn
on 12/15/11 10:15 am - Huntsville, AL
susanraywilliams
on 12/15/11 1:26 pm
Hi MsBatt! I don't like religion at all....it is man made and corrupt. Unfortunately, it is also what is associated with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

Religion isn't what is important..it's great to learn about the history of it. I do enjoy that. It gives me a deeper understanding of how we've come to where we are today.

What I'm trying to get to is the relationship. When I truly developed a relationship with Christ, my whole outlook changed. My relationship with others changed too. For the better that is.

We don't have to have a priest relay the Word of God. We can read it ourselves. And as far as supporting them? Well, I believe in tithes. The Word of God tells us to and gives us a promise of return for our faithfulness. I've never gone hungry. I've always had my needs met even when I wasn't sure what was going to happen next. God always had stepped in and shone Himself and His word to be truth.

I understand what you think and why. I hope I haven't rambled too much. It's just I felt the urge to write about God's love and how he is a God of provision.

Have a great evening!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William Duran

Most Active