Afraid of Surgery..making decisions

VicsLady
on 5/14/12 8:44 pm - Magnola, DE

Thanks you. The major reason I want the surgery is to resolve my medical issues. I do want to eat healthier also, but I also want to be part of the group who won't see diabetes, high blood pressure, or cholesterol  again!!

larra
on 5/14/12 8:45 pm - bay area, CA
As MsBatt said, you would have the best possible chance of your diabetes resolving permanently with the duodenal switch. It is the "switch" part of the DS that is being done as a cure for type 2 diabetes in Europe for non-obese people, not RNY.
     Also, there is some newer evidence to suggest that with RNY, some of the people who appear to have resolution of their diabetes post-op have it return after a few years. This is rarely see with the DS.
     Both are major surgery. It's very scary! But if you arm yourself with research and knowledge, that will help lessen your fears.

Larra
VicsLady
on 5/14/12 10:44 am - Magnola, DE

Hello Larra,

I did read something about the switch part being done with the sleeve surgery. I am not sure, but will do more research about it. I hope to do the one surgery and that's it, but read there needs to be a repeat surgery with the sleeve??  Thanks for the information. I'll make sure to ask about that with the doctor...:)

larra
on 5/14/12 12:00 pm - bay area, CA
I'm with ya, do the one surgery and get it right the first time.
   I think you need to continue your research on the different types of surgery. The sleeve is actually part of the DS, and has only relatively recently gained popularity as a "stand alone" wls. For you, the sleeve is not the best choice as the chance for resolution of your diabetes is far less with any restriction only operation such as sleeve or lap band.
    Someone else posted about how diabetes can come back years later after wls. She is right if she is referring to gastric bypass, but this is rarely, if ever, seen with the DS. I won't say it's impossible, esp with your example of that pregnancy 5 years after tubal ligation (!), but it's extremely unlikely. So if diabetes is a major concern for you, you need to research the DS more.
     Keep in mind, also, that if you see a surgeon who doesn't do the DS he isn't likely to recommend it. He's going to recommend whatever he is most familiar with, and what he does in his own practice, regardless of whether or not that's really the best choice for you. It's crucial to do your own research, decide what operation is most suited to your needs, and THEN choose your surgeon.

Larra
MsBatt
on 5/14/12 7:03 pm
On May 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM Pacific Time, VicsLady wrote:

Hello Larra,

I did read something about the switch part being done with the sleeve surgery. I am not sure, but will do more research about it. I hope to do the one surgery and that's it, but read there needs to be a repeat surgery with the sleeve??  Thanks for the information. I'll make sure to ask about that with the doctor...:)

Usually not---the Sleeve as a stand-alone surgery CAN be revised to a full DS, if the patient doesn't lose enough weight or experiences regain. We have some people over on the DS boar who have done this, or who are thinking of doing this.

Re-Sleeving isn't all that common, or safe.
MsBatt
on 5/15/12 6:11 am
On May 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM Pacific Time, VicsLady wrote:

Hello Larra,

The switch, done with the Sleeve, is a DS. (*grin*) The full DS came first, and in some patients---those who were too large and/or too sick to undergo the whole thing in one procedure---had just the Sleeve, with the intention of having the 'switch' part added later. Some of them lost so much weight they opted not to have the second part, and thus the 'Sleeve' was born.

And the Sleeve works very well for weight loss---in fact, it's what's largely responsible for the intitial weight-loss in both the VSG and the DS. BUT it's the malabsorption of the full DS that's responsible for the DS's incredible long-term maintainence results. (And the resolution of diabetes, high cholesterol, etc.)
littleskie
on 5/12/12 2:25 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
Please know tho that no matter which surgery you choose, none of them "cure" diabetes. Even if your diabetes is resolved, like mine has with the RNY, it can still come back. I know someone who is something like seven years post op and she just had to be put back on her metformin. She cried. She felt she did everything the dr said so why should she be diabetic. he said the surgery would cure her diabetes.

That is one of my pet peeves. When a dr. tells a patient that this procedure will cure diabetes. It may stop is for awhile, maybe forever, but it is not a guarantee.''

read as many papers as you can on the typs of surgery that are available to you. Then list positives and con's to getting each surgery, ''

You must make up your mind to choose which option you feel you can work with you to do your own research.

Good luck with everything.take time making you decision.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

VicsLady
on 5/14/12 10:51 am - Magnola, DE
 I'll let you know right now, if after all this the diabetes comes back I'll cry like a baby! I also know realistically, doctors can't garauntee anything..Heck, I have a cousin who got pregnant after her tubes were tide for five years! I can only keep praying and hope this is the solution God has for me..I have already started my pros and cons list :)...
Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 5/14/12 11:42 am - Bandera, TX
Again you are so wise to look at all your options and weigh carefully.  I too did the same thing when I had surgery almost 10 years ago.  I was very comfortable with my decision, and well informed of what I was getting in to.  This whole journey lead to assisting many patient with education and support, assisting with surgery and watching people in their biggest transformation.  The metabolic surgery has been being done abroad for some time now, just like the band was done for more than 10 years before it was approved by the FDA.  Likewise, there are many reasons politically, and financially for drug companies so it may be years before it is approved in the states.  

Stefanie Bailey RN BSN CNOR RNFA
Regional Managing Partner

Lapband 12/19/02
240/145

VicsLady
on 5/14/12 11:59 am - Magnola, DE
What a shame that it always comes down to the financial bottom line. I wish these people would have good morals lead them instead of always having some selfish, greedy agenda doing that for them.
Most Active