What made you decide?

Sarah R.
on 12/28/12 1:48 am

I have a similar background, I chose to have RNY at age 30...I was 360+ pounds and was diagnosed prediabetic, everything hurt and I couldnt do my job well anymore. I knew if I didnt lose weight I was going to have diabetes, completely ruin my back/hips/knees from the weight and probably have a heart attack before 40. There are potential complications BUT those are not for sure (I have had zero complications), and 17 months out im down 140 pounds, not at goal of below 200 yet but without this tool I would still be over 300 pounds and im not sure how life would be going. Im am healthy, take no meds, have changed jobs to one that is more physically demanding and earns me more money, have started coming out of my shell...the benefits go on and on...Life isnt perfect but im living now instead of watching sadly from the sidelines

sam1am
on 12/28/12 4:43 am

Keep in mind that being overweight has more danger than surgery in most cases.  Get an excellent surgeon, follow his guidelines and I'm sure you will do very well.  I absolutely love my VSG over 3 years out.  It really is set it and forget it for the most part, really easy!

All the best!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

JanineAlfke
on 12/28/12 9:37 am - CA

I did not have the gastric sleeve, but am in a support group on facebook where we have quite a few sleevers. It is called "Gastric Bypass Groupies"  All types of wls patients, both pre op and post op are welcome there....Yes complications happen, but we have over 100 members and out of all of them, I know of maybe three who actually had complications! Don't be afraid to have this surgery. Depending on how much weight you have to lose, you can make a good choice for yourself. I was over 500 lbs and RNY was my only option, but the sleeve is also a great option if you have less to lose....These surgeries are so much more perfected now, than they used to be. Just be sure that any surgeon you select is BOARD CERTIFIED in bariatric surgery and that the hospital is also certified. If I can help you or our facebook group can, please feel free to look us up!! You can find me on facebook under Janine Whitaker Alfke....best of luck to you....I have lost 194 lbs by the way....110 prior to surgery and 84 in 4.5 months since my surgery (and that includes a 2 month stall!!!) This can literally save your life. I know it has saved mine!!

Good luck sweetheart!!
Janine

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/12 7:55 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

I agree with trying to pick an experienced surgeon. Ask the surgeon you choose what his/her leak rate is and how many sleeve surgeries they've done. There are some people who get leaks but usually it doesn't happen. The most common post op risks I hear about with the VSG is dehydration usually during the first month post op. Make sure you take water with you everywhere especially those first couple of months. You CAN get vitamin deficient after the sleeve but it's usually easier to fix than with other surgeries but you have to make sure you take the required vitamins. I am very happy I had the sleeve and my BMI was 38 when I got sleeved and it's now 21. My diabetes is in remission and that is why I got surgery and also to get to a healthy weight too. I dieted a lot over the years and was still obese! What does that tell you? I needed something stronger. There's no shame in admitting that. It's like one of my favorite Youtubers said--someone who loses weight and keeps it off without surgery is like someone who won the lottery. We have to buy our lottery ticket to lose weight and keep weight off and that is okay too!

Most Active