Am I crazy or not?? Sugar issues. Please help

Scoobydoo061423
on 6/2/14 8:28 am - OH
RNY on 11/12/12 with

Hey all. It has been forever since I posted anything here. I had my RNY in Nov 2012. I went from 260 to 137. And I am more then happy with it. Here is what has me lost. For 10 years I was hypoglycemic and had a great control over it. This April it went all downhill. I couldn't keep my sugar up for nothing. There were times were soda or candy couldn't bring it back up. And the only way to feel better was to go to bed. I watch my sugar. I never go over 20 grams a meal, drink water (powerade zero), eat a protein carb mix, snack every 2-3 hours. But it still keeps dropping. Even in my sleep it has happened a few times. I have had a UTI since this has happen. I got blood work done last month and for the first time in 10 years my sugar was normal. It was 81. I am normally at 64. And my insulin came back fine as well. 2 years ago I was insulin reassint. All signs point to diabetes, (both sides of my family have it) but from the tests I don't have it. Here are all my symptoms when I have a low or after one, dizzy, light headed, tried, blurry vision, cold sweats, pee all the time, always thirsty, weak, feel like a zombie, tighing in my body(mostly upper), I straight up feel worthless. I don't know if I should get a 2nd option or if anyone else has this happening to them and they know what to do. Please any information would be great. I can't go back to my doc as I'm in a new state and they don't take my insurance anymore. Please and thank you guys.

Reach for the moon, if you fail at least you will lay among the stars.

56sunShine14
on 6/2/14 11:52 am

Scoobydoo, I am not a doctor but I do think you need to see one now.  You have a UTI, have you seen a doc for that?  If so, you could call them and ask to be seen for these other symptoms, they mayor may not be related.  Whatever it is, you need a doc and need to take care of this asap.  Go to the ER, anything but get there.  You shouldn't play around with this.  Are you dehydrated?

Maybe you can't go to your old doc but you will need one where you are anyway, right?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Scoobydoo061423
on 6/3/14 7:23 am - OH
RNY on 11/12/12 with

I have seen a doc and everything is normal. My UTI is gone now. And I drink a ton, so I know I am good there. 

civilmomma
on 6/3/14 5:04 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Time to find a new doc.  You need to see an Endocrinologist.  Also get your vitamin levels checked.

In the meantime, get that UTI treated and monitor your blood sugar.  If it is getting low, you need to eat.

Are you on any meds that could be affecting your blood sugar?

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Scoobydoo061423
on 6/3/14 7:25 am - OH
RNY on 11/12/12 with

I was thinking about getting a new doc. I have had everything checked and everything has came back normal. I don't "monitor" my blood sugar. I get the sympotms then treat. I was told not to by the blood checker as it was pointless bc I know when it is going to happen. What is an Endocrinologist? And I am not on any meds at all.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/3/14 7:02 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You haven't given enough details, but it is either hypoglycemia or reactive hypoglycemia. It is very common in postops at the same point you are. It is controlled with a very strict eating plan.

The worst thing you can do is use sugar to try and raise your blood sugar. It will raise it, very briefly, but it will cause the next crash. You will never get ahead of it that way. It is not treated the same way a diabetic would.

In addition to sugar, too many carbs will cause brief spikes and then blood sugar crashes. It's usually managed by eating every three hours, give or take, and eating mostly protein, with some healthy carbs AND fats, together.

There are some that deal with this on a daily basis, and can give you more detailed help than I can.

How long after eating does the crash happen? What do you eat before it crashes?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Scoobydoo061423
on 6/3/14 7:29 am - OH
RNY on 11/12/12 with

According to my blood work I no longer have hypoglycemia. I am on a strict eating plan as I don't want to gain any weight back. I get every 2-3 hours a protein carb mix like I was told. So peanut butter and crackers, cheese with crackers, beef jerky. The crash usually happens within an hour or 2 after I eat. Mostly morning it happens the most, but it does happen through out the day. I doesn't matter what I eat, I have changed it so many times from protein bars, to cereal (speail k) to pbj toast, and the list goes on. 

Grim_Traveller
on 6/3/14 7:53 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Hypoglycemia and reactive hypoglycemia are two different things. RH doe**** one to two hours after eating, and it seems to me you are still eating too many carbs and not enough protein. Toast, crackers, cereal, and many protein bars actually trigger RH, badly. Again, this is pretty common, and those with a lot more experience with RH can offer you better help.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/4/14 1:03 am

I have severe RH.. 20 gr of sugar per meal can probably kill me..  really... my BS would drop fast and hard.  

Cereal, bread, potatoes, crackers, grains - starches in general - trigger my RH worse than pure sugar. That includes some fruits - like banana. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dealmaker
on 6/7/14 1:18 pm - Bethesda, MD

I am 11 years post op.  It took 7 years to diagnose my reactive hypoglycemia due to the gastric bypass RNY, including Mayo Clinic and 2,cardiac surgeries for arrthymia . Many days my blood sugar is in the 30's or 40's depending on what I 've  had to eat.  This happens 1.5 to 2 hours after meals. All my tests were normal because they are always on an empty stomach so never diagnosed. 

Recently I was fortunate to be in a study at NIH, my insulin response is 400% higher after 45 grams of carbs than the average person .  So watch your carbs closely and check your blood sugar before driving .  Always keep glucose handy in case you also have this rare side effect.   

Most Active