Road to surgery

SeelieSidhe
on 6/24/14 12:54 pm
RNY on 08/19/14

I started my WLS journey back in January. I was working for a good company, had great benefits and was excited to use them. Literally the week after my consultation I was let go, for reasons I still don't know.

Now I'm on Medi-Cal and am still getting surgery, but my estimated surgery date has moved forward quite a bit. Took some time but I've gotten all my prework done.

I saw my surgeon today and he said we're finally ready to put me on the surgery schedule only to find out that it wouldn't be until November, because he has around 60+ people ahead of me and he only does surgeries on Monday.  Luckily his partner isn't as booked as he is so I'll be switching to him and likely have my surgery in late July or early August. 

I started out around 460 in January. I've been at about 420 for about six weeks now. Losing more weight before surgery would be great but as long as I maintain this weight I'm good to go for surgery. 

We all have our reasons for doing this. One of the big ones for me is to finish school and get my degree. I could have transferred out about a year ago, but I didn't. At the time I said it was because I didn't have the funds for school. Really what it was was being afraid to go to a University as a 450+ pound man. At my community college I knew all the classrooms and I worked in the humanities department. When the time for registering for classes came I would choose my classes not by what worked best for my schedule, but by whether or not the classroom had desks that I would fit in. Basically any class  that had the desk attached to the chair was a no go. I could squeeze in sometimes but it hurt and it wasn't conducive to learning. The thought of having to sit in a big lecture hall in one of those little chairs absolutely terrified me. 

The other reasons are obviously there, wanting to be healthy, wanting to be able to shop for clothes locally and not online, or not have to drive 2 hours to the nearest Casual Male store, and wanting to live past fifty. 

Mary Gee
on 6/24/14 2:27 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Good luck on your surgery - hope it gets scheduled soon.  I just had my VSG last month -- took forever to get there, but well worth the wait!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

SeelieSidhe
on 6/24/14 3:10 pm
RNY on 08/19/14

Thanks. Congrats on getting yours done! I've had a about three friends get theirs these last few months, it's been frustrating watching them. But exciting too, I'm definitely happy for them. 

Grim_Traveller
on 6/24/14 5:34 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm glad things are going well for you now. Keep losing if you can. Getting a good running start into surgery will help you accomplish your goals.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cathy W.
on 6/25/14 3:13 am

You're on your way already - losing 40 pounds is great.  Whenever you lose weight pre-operatively, it makes the surgery easier for your surgeon.  The first internal organ that reflects a weight loss is our liver.  Losing some, as you have, decreases the size of your liver and lifts it up ever so slightly, thus making it easier for your surgeon. 

You go! 

AllisonKara
on 6/25/14 3:22 am

I think you have taken the right decision of getting your surgery done at the earliest.It is very essential for you to lose weight so that you can get to your ideal weight.It will not only help you retain good health but will also boost your confidence for a better future.Our best wishes for your upcoming surgery.Do keep us updated post your surgery.

burghblonde
on 6/26/14 11:45 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

Best wishes to you! Sounds like you are off to a great start out of the gate. I can totally relate to the classroom experience. I have spent most of the last 2 years clearing out some courses for my BSN in nursing. It has always been a huge fear to walk into a room and see middle school sized desks in the lecture hall.  My clinical program begins in August so my surgery couldn't have come at a better time for me. I feel so much more energetic already, have some pep back in my step, and so much more confidence in being in the hospital setting. Those bed spaces are tight, so you know a little less junk in the trunk the much better off I am! ;)

Keep us posted on your date!

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

Most Active