Why did you have WLS? A new question added... See top of first post.

huskergalWsD
on 12/14/14 2:03 am

My issues are both heart and wls related. Thanks for the heads up on the gallbladder surgery you had. We are all different and my calcium buidup was post op. My whole family has heart disease. My heart disease is what got me approved the first time. My body reacts so differently than most others. Example: Vitamin B 12 is suppose to give you energy, not me, it puts me to sleep. I love my B12. The Plavix I take daily has made my teeth rot. Now looking to getting dentures. Diabetes will give you more lows now versus the highs you get before wls. Been there done that. Too many close calls. Good luck, god bless.. Happy Holidays.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Gwen M.
on 12/14/14 2:45 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Regarding your new question (and I think that making a new post would have been better!)  

I started diet modification in January and had surgery in March.  Between January and March I lost 25 pounds!  I'm pretty sure that's the most and fastest I've ever lost weight.  But of course I still had surgery because, in some way, the knowledge that surgery was coming was the motivator I needed to lose that weight.  The knowledge that I was going to have a tool to help me once I reached my goal - I tool that would help me maintain my weight.  

I've lost 120 pounds now.  I'm 9 months post op and I about a year into my lifestyle change.  Could I have done it without the surgery?  I honestly do not know and I never will.  I do know that the surgery has been a huge motivator for me to work on getting healthy and nothing before had ever done the trick.  Sure, there are a lot of physical benefits to the sleeve - I don't get hungry and I'm satisfied with significantly less food than I would have been satisfied with in the past, but I feel like the psychological impact of going through all of this has been even more significant for me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

gram247
on 12/16/14 2:53 pm

I lost a few pounds before surgery, but during pre-op work up the did a cardiac catherization and found that I had blockage of one coronary arteries aNd placed 2 stents. They also found sleep apnea, which I did know I had.

I had elevated blood pressure,  & high cholesterol . 

I had the VGSB on 10/4/11 and have lost 180 pounds. My BP is normal , my lipid profile is wonderful, HDL is high, LDLis low, and cholesterol as of last week is 180. I have stopped many meds I took regularly for arthritis, high BP and cholesterol. No more sleep apnea, either.

i can move around, chase after my grandkids and generally feel healthier. I don't regret having the surgery, but only waiting so long to get it done! 

Goood luck with whatever your decisions. 

southernlady5464
on 12/17/14 2:24 am

Did you have WLS for vanity reasons? NO, I did not. I had the DS at a 35.2 BMI for HEALTH reasons.

Did you have WLS for medical reasons? IE... Current health issues like heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, etc...

Yes, was a type 2 insulin pump and metformin diabetic. I am on NO diabetes meds now. I have genetically high cholesterol...was on metformin. NOW my cholesterol is normal and I routinely eat a high protein HIGH HIGH fat diet.

Did you have WLS to prevent medical issues stated above? I KNEW I was headed downhill. I had my DS at 56, I am 60 and in MUCH better help than ever before.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

INgirl
on 12/17/14 9:30 am

Oh boy, you are a candidate! Don't even give that a second thought!

Now the real choice ****il you hop on that table, is which one?) I'd personally read a LOT more on the DS and consult with a surgeon that does the DS- and this is from someone that self-payed for any surgery they wanted, but didn't do the DS. 

I would (personally) not opt for the RNY, and I (personally) ruled it out from the get-go for many reasons. Long-term is what I was looking at and it was either the VSG or DS, and for me the VSG won.  

I did it for health reasons- 75%, 25% for vanity, though at 37 I was having some mobility issues already, insulin/glucose issues and a family history of diabetes. I had LOST all my excess weight once over an 18mo period, pre surgery. I went from over 300lbs to 155 (5'7") BUT I couldn't maintain it.. and that is the kicker. Many people can lose it, but not maintain the losses. I can't count the times I lost 30-40-10-60lbs over the years.

I knew where my issues were, and what my "eating style" was, so I chose the surgery that fit best. I've lost and stayed within a normal BMI to slightly overweight BMI since... going on 3.5yrs.. no plastics, which would help with the extra 7-10lbs of skin/extra weight.

Please, you seem to be really invested in learning, and not just following whatever your doctor sells you- if you are looking into a malabsorptive surgery, look at the DS. The RNY does not offer life-long help, just a smaller window of help vs. the DS which does offer life-long metabolic assistance. The trade-offs to me, from all I've read (researched, not first-hand personal accounts) are just not worth the short-term caloric help of the RNY..

It's not about losing it, it's about maintaining those losses and maintaining the gains in health you get from taking these risks. They all come with a price, make sure you are getting a good deal, and not a temporary bargain. Good luck with whatever you choose!!

Most Active