Only 1 week out since gastric bypass and already...

ShoreToLose
on 12/21/14 8:53 pm - Brick, NJ

A week out and a Mickey D's cheeseburger already !!! Soft food or not, U gotta rethink what ur eating.

1st Goal: 190 lbs. - Achieved 8/3/2010
2nd: Goal: 165 lbs. - `Achieved 11/2/2010
ladygodiva1228
on 12/22/14 12:07 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On December 21, 2014 at 2:31 PM Pacific Time, lilnikki wrote:

Hi, I just had gastric bypass one week ago.  Today and yesterday I cheated on what I can have to eat.  While I'm supposed to be sticking to soft foods, today I had a McDonald's cheeseburger (the plain one minus the pickles) and yesterday I had some Hershey's chocolate almond bar.  Other than having to chew thoroughly and taking my time eating, I've been able to eat without any consequences whatsoever.  This has me very worried since I was hoping dumping syndrome would teach me to stay away from the fatty & sugary foods.  I'm not worried about the burger since I actually don't care for fast food burgers, I was just so sick of sugar-free shakes, pudding and jello that I decided to have it.  I am worried about the sweets and overeating.  Why am I able to eat this stuff one week out???  I know how to eat right and given I have osteoarthritis, I am pretty good about riding my bike and going to the gym to weight lift, swim and yoga.  Still, I'm afraid I will not be one of the success stories.  I am very scared of stretching out my stomach.  I have had no negative side-effects from eating post-op.  Am I wrong in thinking that those who were successful curbed their eating because of dumping syndrome and getting full early? 

I would be more concerned with popping a staple than stretching out your stomach,

You can eat that stuff because the nerves have been cut so you don't feel restriction.

Like others have said only about 30% of people dump and in all your research that should have been seen or talked about atleast once.

The people that are successful put their mind, body, and soul into working the tool they have been given. They don't experiment at a week out going off their plan.  I would highly suggest you find a therapist ASAP or you may end up down a slippery slope that you cannot climb back up from.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

lilnikki
on 12/22/14 1:58 am - Preston, WA

I appreciate your reply.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/22/14 12:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

At one week out, your capacity would be 1oz or less. Many of us reach 3oz or so once things have healed up-- STILL not enough room for an entire cheeseburger.

Eating that much, especially right after surgery, is just begging you to blow a staple line and cause serious injuries.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Y D.
on 12/22/14 12:25 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

oh honey... this is frickn ridiculous. please let this be a WAKE UP CALL.

"get therapy" is not a joke, or a cliché- we all have mental **** to work through in our positions, but some have more than others. pick up the phone and set the appointment- what you did IS NOT NORMAL.

you just had f'ing surgery- you altered your body to change your weight- its drastic! there's really no other option after this! if you can't make this work your physical and emotional health are hugely at stake.

and wth is your friend or whoever doing handing you a cheeseburger- did they know you had surgery?? where's the support?

the beginning of the surgical experience is when most people have the highest levels of motivation, this is really frightening for your future based on this action.

get it together, snap out of it!

lilnikki
on 12/22/14 1:55 am - Preston, WA

My friend that's taking care of me post-op offered the kids cheeseburger, but I'm responsible for my choices.  The varied reactions here in OH have made me see how serious a mistake my decisions have been.  

"Where's my motivation?" is exactly what prompted me to come on OH.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 12/22/14 2:40 am, edited 12/22/14 2:40 am
VSG on 01/11/16

Don't be offended. 

The vets here are amazing..  they care, they worry.. most have seen really bad results come of poor choices and want to prevent it.  Be grateful so many people cared enough about a strangers well being they commented and gave you a slap back to reality. 

But stop the excuses.. you made the choice to take the burger you made the choice to eat it.

Saying but I didn't order it and she gave it to me is an excuse .. face it, own it and move on to better choices and stick to the plan. 

Best of Luck

lilnikki
on 12/22/14 2:28 pm - Preston, WA

Thanks for the input.  I guess I was defensive, go figure. Ha.  I do own my mistake, squarely.  It was that realization and ownership that brought me to post here to begin with.  Didn't expect the backlash.  Some of the slaps were good for me.

sjkduke
on 12/22/14 1:54 am - VA
VSG on 12/18/14

It doesn't matter if it's a "kid's" cheeseburger or not--I don't know how someone at one week post-op could get a bite of cheeseburger down let alone a WHOLE cheeseburger down.  I can't even get applesauce down right now.

I'm pretty new here, but I find it hard to believe that someone who went through extensive pre-op stuff to be approved for surgery would be even willing to take a bite of a cheeseburger, not to mention the chocolate bar.  I'd be too terrified of stuff getting stuck or ruining the sutures.  This is bizarre.

Sarah

SW 250 CW 229

Zee Starrlite
on 12/22/14 2:37 am

FYI a happy meal burgers are regular sized burgers.  Get wise and get better.  That was a poor choice, a poor test of your new Frankenstein stomach.  And the Hershey's chocolate Almond bar - get real lady!  Are you fricken kidding me!

I truly do wish you the very best.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active