how do i know weight loss surgery is for me?

Mary Gee
on 2/21/15 12:59 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
You have to learn more about wls. Go to the blue bar at the top of the page, click on More, then Resources, then start reading. Also read the Gsernal Discussion board, the VSG, RNY and D S boards to learn more. Get a referral to a bariatric surgeon. You can't make an informed decision without knowledge. Do you meet the criteria? Does your insurance cover it? Read, read, and read some more.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

MsBatt
on 2/21/15 1:46 am

Only you can decide if having WLS is worth the hassle of getting insurance approval, jumping through the necessary hoops, and changing your life forever. Make no mistake---having WLS isn't like waving a magic wand and POOF! you're thin forever. It will not work if you can't make some big changes.

And---losing weight is NOT going to automatically give you a better relationship with your husband. If he doesn't love you NOW, he's not going to love you just because you're thinner.

ghostorchid
on 3/1/15 10:35 am

thank you for your honesty.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/21/15 3:09 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You might want to consider posting this on the lightweight board. Your weight might be too low for insurance to cover it so you have to read up on their requirements and give them a call.

WLS won't help in your relationship with your husband. That's a separate issue that would have to be addressed, maybe counseling?

Read as much as you can about the various wls procedures b4 deciding if it's for you. Kudos on trying to get ahead of this b4 it becomes a real problem.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/21/15 1:55 pm, edited 2/21/15 1:55 pm - OH

So you started out weighing only 86 pounds (206-120)?!?

Do you know what your BMI is?  (How tall are you?)  As already mentioned, you probably need to have a BMI of 35 and comorbidities to qualify for surgery.  No matter how hard you may have tried to lose weight, if you don't meet the insurance plan's criteria for medical necessity, it doesn't matter... If you don't meet the criteria they aren't going to just offer to pay for it because you have tried hard to lose weight otehr ways.  Also, where you want to have the surgery done is irrelevant to meeting the criteria, so it probably is a waste of time to try to get it approved unless you DO meet the requirements.  Doctors know how particular insurance companies are about denying approval if you don't meet the criteria.  

Find out what your plan's requirements are, though, and if you DO meet the criteria, then you need a surgeon who will help you submit the paperwork (unless the insurance. Company will accept the paperwork from a general physician, which I and. Not heard of but may be possible).  If you want to have surgery in the US, though, I'm not sure how you would get a surgeon to submit you for approval without ever having seen you...  unless you fly back here to work with a  surgeon's office and then fly back again for surgery.

Also, as the others have already said, losing weight is NOT going to improve your relationship with your husband. Many people assume that weight is the issue when the problem is really something else (even if your husband claims your weight bothers him, it is likely not just the weight that is causing problems, and the problems will still exist even if you lose weight) 

Lora

edited for autocorrect errors

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Angie2015
on 2/23/15 10:25 pm

I can relate to ur story. My high weight was 219. Day of my vsg I was 209. The lightweight forum has some very supportive members that will respond to any questions. I was a self pay and went to Mexico because in Canada there can be huge waits and I doubt I would have been covered. This was the right decision for me. Now I get to be sucessful at my attempt to get healthy for me, my children and yes my husband too. I happier me does influence the dynamic in my relationships in a positive way! :) 

feel free to ask any questions. 

Good luck. 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/23/15 10:47 pm

WLS may be for you, but it will be a tool in your arsenal. It won't do anything to improve relationships.

TRICARE does cover WLS. Go to TRICARE.mil for the reqrequirements. Since you are overseas, you also have to consider if there is a surgeon on base capable of performing surgery for you. If not, you would have to be sent off base, and there may not be a surgeon available.

You may need to wait until your husband is reassigned to theStates. TRICARE covers civilian care, but military treatment facilities have a bit (a small bit) more lattitude in what care is approved on base. I worked for one of the regional contractors for years; that is how I know.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Kathy S.
on 2/24/15 2:21 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.     ​ We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.     ​​ Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.​​   Let us know if you need anything else.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

MickeyDee
on 2/26/15 12:39 am

Someone recommended reading all the forums for the different surgeries, and I couldn't agree more.  When I was doing my research I even read all the stories about complications and problems.  I knew I needed to make an informed decision, and I was the only one that could make that decision. 

ghostorchid
on 2/27/15 1:57 pm

thanks for the support, I would never ask for special treatment for being part of a military family. I am in a military family because i choose to. I feel that I will set up appointments with a dietician and a nutritionist. And try to get a referral through my regular doctor. Thanks

Most Active