Making a decision

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/15 9:20 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I had my heart set on the sleeve for 3 years before having to decide on RNY because of my severe GERD. I couldn't be happier now -- I was taking Prilosec twice a day and still having acid-induced nausea spells all the time, and I haven't had a single one since surgery, even off all GERD meds. The way my surgeon put it, the two reasons they advise bypass over sleeve are diabetes and GERD, and I had both (accent on the past tense!).

My husband had the sleeve 2 weeks after my bypass. Our recoveries were identical, as are our diets (except that I intentionally haven't added bread back in yet). Even our vitamin regimens are almost the same; I just need calcium supplements while he doesn't (which is more due to me being female). The only real differences have been 1) I've had a few instances of reactive hypoglycemia when overeating simple carbs (a great deterrent for me since I don't appear to get dumping syndrome; 2) my husband has some GERD now while mine was resolved; and 3) he had a bit more pain at the biggest incision site than I did since his stomach remnant had to be removed through it. We'll see as time goes on if things are different, but so far we both feel we made the right decisions for ourselves.

Most Active