Replacements for anxiety/stress eating

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/26/16 2:57 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Generally, tortilla chips are no bueno. A lot of folks struggle with carbs, and it's best to avoid them completely-- especially when carbs are a trigger food.

You may have missed it, but Mute EXPRESSLY asked for non-food things to do.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mute
on 7/27/16 4:57 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Carbs are SUCH a trigger food for me. I'm really great at avoiding them and keep it super low since I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, crackers, etc at all and haven't since the first month. But seriously cannot deal with any or I am positive I would go on a massive carb binge and that is not an option for me. I'm terrified at what I would do!

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/16 6:18 am
ReShape on 10/30/16

I steer clear of most as most don't agree with my system as well. I will do a very small serving of spaghetti as I can tolerate that pretty much. Steer clear of breads, etc. I do love the Nut Thins. I'll eat 4-6 with thin slices of cheese. Don't so rices, etc. Just seems like they take up a lot of space where proteins should be. But like I said earlier a bite of this or that and I forget about it for a couple of weeks or longer. I guess after 11 years I've learned what it best for me and what allows me to coexist in a world of food. Still love to try all different things as long as it's not something outrageous. I just do a little instead of a lot. A 3"x3" piece of lasagna is a meal now where it used to be a 1/4 of a pan. We all know ourselves best though and I know. My fiancee has the same philosophy as I do.  If you look at her pics she's holding at about 125#. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/16 4:15 pm
ReShape on 10/30/16

It is different for everyone. My was pizza. Instead of eating most of one I eat one piece. I guess I was speaking towards our evolution over time. In my first 2 or 3 years I was very limited in what I could or actually would eat as well.

I did actually see the non food question. I guess we can all bike, hit the gym, grab a book, do a puzzle, ect when were anxious. I am very much from a family of anxious, stress eaters, happy eaters, sad eaters, eater eaters... There are different things we can do. That would be anything that would be of interest and can distract us for the moment from wanting to tear into something. This never really goes away long term I hear from most. That was my original point. It's much better to face it. realize why we do this and try to work with it to concur it as opposed to against it, because "it" is actually "us". In my case I ate a lot of watermelon and sugar free popsicles my first couple of years when the urge to stress eat hit. I eventually started to go to a WLS support group and found that the support of others as well as helping other with their issues helped me as well. That's where the peanut butter idea came from. This has always bee a weakness. A member said he ate a couple of large peanut butter sandwiches most night. I suggested a spoonful eaten slowly instead, He tried it gave up the bread and ate about a 1/4 of the actual spread then he did previously. I discovered the Jiff Natural and did better yet. Definitely not trying to be a bad influence. Just hoping to help. This site was my savior the two years while fighting to get the surgery then afterwards as well. 

mute
on 7/26/16 11:59 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I definitely don't want to replace any of it with food. I'm not deprived at this point at all, I eat around 800 calories or less a day but I'm not hungry and if I am I eat. I don't eat carbs at all and I don't actually need anything I mentioned - the pretzels, the cookies, etc. Including a version I can eat. Every once in a while I find a version of a dessert or something and I eat a SF popsicle probably every other day lol. I'm still trying to maximize the weight loss period which I know is coming to a close for me since I had RNY so thanks for those options but I'm more looking for something not food related I think.

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/16 4:18 pm
ReShape on 10/30/16

I know someone who got involved on a softball team and also a once a week dart league. a bunch of fun, new people and a very good diversion. 

Not sure what your into but time out of the house with others is always a good thing. Good luck!  Rich  

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/26/16 12:00 pm

flavored green tea.. yoga;  hot shower or hot bath... 

I tried alcohol - I didn't like "the side" effects...  I gave that up.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

alouisa63
on 7/26/16 12:05 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I clean.  One room, one tas****il the feeling goes away.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

jenorama
on 7/26/16 12:23 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Write a story where ******** get their just desserts!  

"Paul, you're really trying my patience," I said as he stood mutely in front of my desk.  He had that defiant look on his face, the look that meant trouble.  Not this time, I thought as I ran the ball of my foot over the trap door button.  I knew that with one twitch of my foot, Paul would literally be up to his asshole in alligators and I found the thought very, very soothing.

See?  I FEEL BETTER ALREADY!  :D

Jen

The Salty Hag
on 7/26/16 2:06 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

This is absolutely brilliant, Jen!!!! Oh I heart this so, so much!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active