OMG here we go again. You look too thin, you don't need to lose any more, yada yada

Kathy S.
on 3/29/17 9:33 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I debated to post pics or wait until I hit my goal weight. The reason I fell from grace in the first place is not something I am ashamed of. Putting my husband first and me stress eating was a small price to pay. What happened next, the journey and road blocks to get going again was eye opening for me. It really is about the "head" and all the stars being lined up.

It breaks my heart to see so many gaining again and not being able to get back on track. This experience happened for a reason I believe and I hope I can help others get back on track. As you said seeing is a great motivator. Words are nice but sometimes we hear yada yada but OH THAT PHOTO!

Thanks for all you do here! You have mail

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

VSGAnn2014
on 3/29/17 9:17 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Kathy S., you are a sweetheart.

Thank you for all you do here.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Kathy S.
on 3/29/17 9:34 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Back at ya

BlueCanary
on 3/29/17 9:02 am

The last time, when I was severely depressed & had lost over 100lb my sister said I "didn't look like myself- I looked sickly & had lost too much weight." I know she meant well, but at that particular moment I had just started medication for the depression & her saying that gave me "permission" to gain all this weight back. I'm not blaming her- but the comment absolutely affected my perspective. I allowed the comment to color my recovery & justified my weight gain because being fat was how I was "supposed" to look. I'll know better next time.

BlueCanary

Ht 5'4"

Current weight 315

BMI 54.1

Hoping for surgery in 2018

Kathy S.
on 3/29/17 9:37 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

That is exactly what happens! I have seen it over and over again. In the early days I went to support groups all the time. I had to drive from the burbs into Chicago and that was some drive LOL But I did it. I can't tell you how many times I heard the same story. Friends and family started telling me I looked sick, don't lose any more, stop. But what I heard was go ahead eat that, you got this under control it's OK! And they would be sitting there in the throws of regain and feeling so bad about themselves they couldn't get back on track.

The face you understand this you will do fine and not make that mistake again. Let me know if you need anything! I am here for you

CC C.
on 3/29/17 9:25 am

I used to say, "well, you haven't seen me naked..." when I would hear that I shouldn't lose more.

I think two things... one, people have an image of us in their brains that they are comfortable with and losing weight messes with that so they say dumb things.

Two, we can't control where we lose it from. So maybe my face or some other body part would be better off with not losing more, but my stomach or rear is harboring 20 pounds of excess weight. We don't get to order up where it comes off!

I just wish people would trust us to know our bodies best.

Kathy S.
on 3/29/17 9:39 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Cecily

Good point! I didn't think of that one and you are right. Let's just say I looked like a melting mama from a sci-fi movie And only I knew what garment was holding in what fat Thanks for your wisdom!

AnneGG
on 3/30/17 5:11 pm, edited 3/30/17 10:13 am

People around us get used to how they see us and have a hard time with their perceptions changing, nothing personal.

My opinion- opinions are like @$$#%£#$, everyone's got one.

I just thank them for sharing and do what has worked for me for 7½ years. Most people in my life have come around and are very proud of me.

The most important? I'm so proud of myself.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Kathy S.
on 3/31/17 7:46 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

And that is putting you first in a healthy way. Good for you

Vegbeth
on 3/31/17 6:59 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

No one is telling me I look to skinny thankfully but I'm within 3lbs of my lowest adult weight. When I was this weight before I heard it a LOT. I have no idea why and maybe it did get into my head at the time because I got complacent and stopped trying to loose weight and went into maintenance too soon. Held within 10lbs for ten years but then it all went to sh&$@&t. This time I don't even feel close to done. I'll see if I get any comments at Easter but I don't expect any.

Most Active