NSV: my first triathlon

stacyrg
on 5/8/17 9:10 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Congratulations!!! It amazes me every day what my body is capable of!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/8/17 9:20 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Girl I'm so proud of you! YOU ROCK!!! Wow a triathlon, woohoo! Running is so what I'll watch other people do... from my bike, lol But really that's fantastic!

I so luv your bike & you know I just ordered a yellow jersey that looks like a taxi cab, it would so match your bike. It has NYC all over it, but check out Danny's Cycles, they have an online store & you might like it. I saw them at the bike expo & they had the jerseys, just not my size , they didn't bring enough, but they did have them online.

& you had a baby too! You go girl! We gotta go riding together one day, at least now I know that I can go 40 miles in 1 day., just don't ask me to run & I basically just float in the water, cue Titanic music lol

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/8/17 9:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Ooooh, I will TOTALLY look for that jersey. My tri top was bright yellow so I was kinda matchy, but checkerboard would be perfect!!

We totally need to ride together! If you ever come to the desert, you can do El Tour de Tucson with me, it's a ride around the perimeter of the city and you can do a 38-mile leg. If you don't mind dog fur, you can totally crash with me :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/8/17 9:53 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Cool! I'll so keep that in mind! The jersey is listed under Danny's Cycles items.

I think this jersey is so cool!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Kathy S.
on 5/8/17 9:39 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Love it!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy S.
on 5/8/17 9:41 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Love that bike!!!!

Kristi T.
on 5/8/17 9:41 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Julie, that is so wonderful! You are a true inspiration, congratulations on all of your race goals!

Kathy S.
on 5/8/17 9:44 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Julie, this is off the charts too cool need some advice...going to ask T too. I can do distance but speed escapes me. If I really pu**** maybe 10-11mph but 8-10 seems to be my norm. How did you increase your speed?

Thanks,

Kathy

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/8/17 9:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The thing that's really helped me the most is working on my cadence, or how fast you pedal. If you back off on the gears so that it's easier to pedal, but try to keep your feet moving faster, it helps a lot! I tend to pedal slower, but in a harder gear, but increasing my cadence helps a ton.

I've heard 80 - 85 RPM recommended as a good pace for "beginning" riders, so that's what I usually aim for. Think of "Can't Buy Me Love" by the Beatles, and try to keep your feet going at that speed.

What kind of bike do you have? If you're riding a mountain bike with thick, knobby tires, that'll slow you down because of all the resistance against the pavement. You can get different tires meant for roads or paved paths, and they'll help your speed quite a bit. I put some like these on my mountain bike when I first started riding, and within a few days I went from 8mph to over 10mph!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kathy S.
on 5/8/17 11:24 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the cadence and will check it out. I was riding a very old bike and when I went to my first bike ride group they said the same things. My bike was more for off the road mountain bike, fat tires. I wanted to get a Trek bike so bad but couldn't afford it. I ended up with a Fuji from the bike shop. I loved going on the group ride but even the little kids beat me I wanted to work on my speed before going again. I have been taking a RPM class but nothing yet. Maybe I should just enjoy the view on my rides. Love biking GREAT JOB again Julie

Most Active