I don't think I'll ever have plastics

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/17/17 6:26 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On May 16, 2017 at 8:49 PM Pacific Time, mershmellow wrote:

You are right, my weight loss journey is much different than many of the people who have commented. I weighed a lot more to start than many of the people posting. I am sure you mean well with your comment, I don't doubt that. It is just that I can't help but feel that you are just sort of very negative about my weight loss situation. Anyway, I do know you have good intentions even if I misinterpreted the tone of your words, thank you for your advice and some insight about how things might be later on. I do plan to get to a healthy BMI, and the fact that most morbidly obese people never seem to, doesn't matter to me. I am not them. I might not get it done in a year (I probably definitely won't), but that won't stop me from continuing until I'm healthy.

Mershmellow -- I have rarely seen someone respond with such class to such a classLESS response post. So, you have impressed me. Not that it matters -- but I feel compelled to add my support to you.

Please do not let these responses dissuade you. YOU CAN REACH YOUR GOAL -- and there are plenty of us here who started at super morbidly obese and have done just that. I was 347 pounds officially (more before that weigh-in) with a 57 BMI. I am now at a 20 to 21 BMI and have maintained that since around 18-20 months out. There are many of us here who started in the SMO category and have lost huge amounts of weight. It is not impossible with the right mindset and persistance.

Not everyone who loses a lot of weight has skin issue the way described above. I am not anti-plastic surgery -- to each his/her own, but not everyone feels that they need it after even a massive weight loss. Not everyone can afford it, either. Being financially responsible is just as important -- and being healthy? -- THAT is everything. You seem young to me, and that will also work to your benefit. I will send positive thoughts that you will also have good skin. I have lost 220 pounds and truthfully, I do not have those problems at all. I think I was just lucky and have good skin. I look and feel great! Do I have some excess skin? Of course. Is it debilitating? Absolutely not.

You seem to be holding your own here, but I did want to give you some emotional support. Having also been SMO, I know to well how insurmountable the goal can seem at times -- and it's completely unhelpful to have someone who should understand that experience bet against you.

You can do this.

Sometimes people project their own issues onto to other people -- and I would guess that is something happening here.

Keep doing what you are doing. Never let anyone steal your hope and determination.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/17 7:08 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Thank you so much for your post. The support I have gotten on this thread is incredible and it makes me feel really good. It also proves what I thought already that these boards are so very valuable!

NotOldMomma
on 5/21/17 5:48 pm

Mershmellow, My heaviest weight was 420 and GIRL!!!! I plan on making my own stats! I've always known I'm more than ordinary! Let's be EXTRAORDINARY! It's that determination that will get you there! It takes one step to start the journey and take that one step at a time! I know I'm a worrier too but worrying leads to eating and heaven forbid we don't want that!

A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH A SINGLE STEP. ......

Grim_Traveller
on 5/16/17 5:40 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

"All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness."

--- Tennessee Williams

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/16/17 5:37 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On May 16, 2017 at 6:17 PM Pacific Time, OutsideMatchInside wrote:
On May 16, 2017 at 3:49 PM Pacific Time, mershmellow wrote:

I was thinking the other night about skin removal (I know, still early for me, but I'm sure it is what everyone considers.) The skin removal and various tucks will be a small fortune, and that isn't something I can see spending money on. I did this surgery to make a life for myself, which in turn I wanted to make a good life for my grandma who took me in and adopted me and supported me. If I ever work somewhere and make great money I can use to save back for it, maybe in time, but I think I have set my mind to not getting any. Instead, I want to focus on filling my future bags with muscle. I have always been really interested in the "larger" body physique for women. Not body builder, but someone very strong and fit. That is the goal I am ingraining into my mind! It will be hard, and take time, and won't get rid of all the issues, but I am hoping it is the way for me to go.

Did any of you go down this road instead of plastics? Also, I am not against plastics in anyway, I think they're great! I just don't think they will ever be in my close future.

If you ever lose to a weight close to a normal weight, Plastic surgery will not because of vanity. It will be medically necessary for your quality of life.

About 60% of my arm is hanging skin. I already have nice defined muscles. It is impossible for me to build enough muscle to fill that amount of skin. If I did what would I wear? I am already in a situation where clothes fit me everywhere but the arms. If I made my arms bigger I would look like a freak show. What would I look like with dress size 28 arms but a 28 inch waist? If it was even possible to fill them with muscle but it isn't. My thighs are about 40% skin. My entire stomach is just playdough that I can lift and mold and move all around.

I really can't imagine living another 40 or 50 years trying to tuck this skin and hide it and more importantly find ways to support it so it doesn't HURT me.

You haven't lost enough weight to know what real loose skin is like, get back to us in another 150 pounds lost and let us know how you feel then. Your goal is to lose 325 pounds, is that a fictitious goal or a real goal?. I have lost around 180 and I am about 1/2 the size I used to be and the amount of skin I have is amazing. You are still super morbidly obese. I am not judging I am just being honest. If you ever get under 250 pounds, I think you are going to feel very different about skin, and it won't just be an optional thing or an abstract idea.

Fat people are always obsessed with loose skin but most of them have never even got to the point they actually have it. I still have another 20 to go, then I can seriously evaluate my loose skin. If you aren't even close to a healthy normal BMI it is a moot conversation.

Well, I've lost almost 300 pounds. I'm 40 percent of what I once weighed. And I've been right in the middle of a normal BMI for 4 years.

Plastic surgery is NOT medically necessary for my quality of life. Not even a little. Sure I have a lot of excess skin. Who wouldn't after all that loss? But medically necessary? Phhhhttt.

I could put together the money for plastics, but I honestly would have a lot of other things I'd rather spend it on.

I've got to say, pretty much every response you have, to every poster, seems designed for nothing other than ******g in people's cheerios.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cathy H.
on 5/16/17 6:11 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

THIS!! Grim, have I mentioned I love you? (Kidding, JB...kidding!)

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/16/17 7:41 pm

Whoa, are you an elm tree? ' Cause that's a whole lot of shade you're throwing.

I started SMO and now I am slightly overweight. My excess skin doesn't hurt me or stop me from doing anything I want. Not all fat people are obsessed with excess skin, either. It's not even in my top 50 things.

Plastics are great for those who want them, but not everyone one does and that's okay.

The OP asked a general question. No need for you to thrust your prejudice on her ' if you ever get under 250 pounds'. You sure are judging.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

OutsideMatchInside
on 5/16/17 11:26 am
VSG on 07/15/15

And I want to say that when I started, I never thought plastics would be an option for me because I hate the idea of surgery. Narcotics have no effect on me, except making my intestines clinch and feel in general miserable. I also felt that kind of money could be better spent on thing like education and travel.

At the point I am at now, it isn't optional if I want to enjoy life to the fullest.

And this is just because of my start weight, and how much I lost. If I had quit losing at 12 months and maintained there. I could have easily skipped plastics.

I wear a 10, sometimes and 8. I have a 29-31 inch waist depending on the day and that is with mounds of loose hanging skin. If I could wave a magic wand and have my skin removed right now I would be a size 4 easily. I have 125 pounds of lean muscle mass. Under this hanging skin I am very compact and sleek.

I'm not miserable with the skin, and I love being small, and I am enjoying my healthy. It is just a daily nuisance though. Every day I have to play my attire around my skin and how I can hide it, support and still be comfortable and stylish.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

LillithsDemons
on 5/17/17 7:14 am
RNY on 03/14/17

you must be super tall because 187 is still obese bmi for me. I'm only 5'5" thoguh. i never knew no one who wears a 4 at that weight.

peachpie
on 5/16/17 11:27 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I can never say "never" but its highly unlikely. Even if I could save up $10-15K, it'd be more responsible of me to provide for my kids somehow or pay some bills. Luckily for me, my skin isn't that bad. I won't be wearing short shorts-- or a bikini-- but they aren't my style anyway.

And as someone who work outs regularly and has from the start, I'm extremely happy with what exercise has done for my shape and do not think I'd have gotten these results otherwise. I think I have kick ass legs, awesome shoulders and muscular arms (bat wings aside).

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Most Active