The value of pre-op diets (link to full text in comments)

Janet P.
on 9/27/18 7:15 am

I've always found this an interesting concept/requirement because when I had my surgery 15+ years ago there were no pre-op diet requirements, unless a surgeon wanted it. Insurance required nothing. I was actually on a "farewell to food tour" before my surgery. Don't think I gained any weight but definitely didn't diet.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PrivateCitizen
on 12/30/18 3:34 pm

I read a lot of Pubmed.gov research, and have looked at hundreds of studies on nutrition, it seems every single one sticks to the USDA HIGH carb diet..first they KEEP the 50-65% 'healthy' carbs..but our bodies process all carbs into sugar, period. THEN they alter 'fats' they may go up or down a few points but NO DEIT tested by any study will test KETO or VLCHF, because they still believe fats are evil, and you MUST have carbs..when carbs are the one macro we can survive without. Now fats are required, protein is required. to me many of these studies fail all of us because they are ALL based on old UNTESTED belief that we must have high carbs for satiety...the diets all changed in the 70s with the gov. advice to eat more grains..but no one eats plain oatmeal, and fast foods have become the cheap addiction for may.

How did we get from no one obese in high school in the 40s-50s, 60s, to 74% now overweight and some super morbidly obese by graduation? sugar and fructose, fructose added to sodas with the big killer-you can drink thoueans more calories, without 'satiety', and in the SAME period as the USDA Pyramid (NO STUDIES were done, mind you, JUST pressure from the agri/grain lobby, Dr. Ornish and his all grains diet was BELIEVED as best, plus anti-meat people in the program who WROTE the final report...ans in the SAME 50 years we went from healthy with occasional sugars, to a nation that is now closer to ALL obese in that 74%, where there were mostly overweight...up to few obese. Diabetes is rampant as we can't handle the sugars hidden in everything, even bread-to keep it 'salable' and no four our benefit.

So look at the studies that START from that premise, 50% carbs is regimented, and it doesn't matter what else they change.

In my long life I have seen a lot of changes, and the growth of fast foods and 24/7 encouragement to eat and snack has caused this.

There may be NO reason at all that not being on a weight loss program before alters long term success, they meed thousands and thousands studied over 20 years to really know.

I suspect we have a beauracratic culture that finds ways to waste money and create paperwork and requirements for no valid benefit to the patient.

As soon as "obesity" became a disease, and was covered by insurance the MDs pushing Lap band were out in droves in 2000, no long term texting, but one more foreign object in the body creating fibrous growths and problems for little success for most. grin

Kathy S.
on 12/31/18 10:59 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

This should be an interesting read! Back in my day they didn't require pre-op dieting/eating plans. Maybe they should have as I can't tell you how many "last meals" I had before surgery.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active