What is Quinoa?
Though not technically a grain, quinoa can substitute for nearly any grain in cooking. Actually the seed of a leafy plant, quinoa’s relatives include spinach, beets and Swiss chard. Due to its delicate taste and rich amounts of protein, iron, potassium and other vitamins and minerals, it is quite popular. It is also a good source of dietary fiber and is easily digested. (-Source: Wisegeek.com)

I still cannot digest regular rice that well so as an alternative, I started experimenting with quinoa. I use it in recipes where I used to use rice. I use it to make cabbage rolls and goulash and make all sorts of things with it. I find it near the rice/pasta section. The texture is more of a very short grain rice. The very first time I ate it, I think I ate it too fast and it did make me sick. However, since that time, I chew it up very good and I eat it slow and it’s fine. It does puff when you cook it, but it’s so small in its original form that the puffing is not something that I have a problem with. I also make forms of creamed rice(sweet and savory). So far, my experimenting has been great.

Chinese Fried Rice
with Quinoa 

I made this last night for my family and it was a huge hit:

Ingredients
1 cup quinoa
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup frozen corn
1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 cup green onions
2 eggs (I used egg beaters)
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp mustard

Directions
Add quinoa and broth to sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce temperature to low, cover and let simmer 10 mins. Fluff quinoa with a fork and add peas, corn, 1 tsp soy sauce, and green onions. Scramble eggs in a separate pan. Add eggs to quinoa mixture. Mix 1 tsp soy sauce, ketchup and mustard together and then add to quinoa mixture. Serve hot. It’s delish!

Tip: Throw in a few shrimp or a protein of your choice.

Cabbage Rolls

My family loves this dish! I add the rotel because my husband and son like a little heat, but if you don’t like spice at all, then just two cans of the tomatoes will also work. I have a hard time digesting a bunch of cabbage at once so I chop it up and make a casserole out of it!

Ingredients
1 lb of ground beef
1/2 head of cabbage chopped
1 tbsp spray butter
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can rotel diced tomatoes
mozzarella cheese
1 cup quinoa
1 can beef or chicken broth low sodium

Directions
Preheat oven to 350

Put 1 cup quinoa in a sauce pan. Add the broth and boil. Let simmer for 10-15 mins (as directed on box). Brown the ground beef in a separate pan, add chopped cabbage with the spray butter. Cover and let it cook until wilted. Drain the ground beef and add to the cabbage pan. Add both cans of tomatoes and the quinoa. Cook for 2 mins until all the flavors have combined. Put the mixture in a baking dish. Top with cheese and bake for 20 mins. Everything is cooked so you are really just letting the flavors fully combine and letting the cheese melt.

Goulash

So Yummy!

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef (I also use turkey)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 cup quinoa
1 can beef or chicken low sodium broth
1 cup frozen corn
mozzarella cheese

Directions
In a saucepan bring 1 can broth to a boil. Add the quinoa. Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer 10-15 mins. Brown 1 lb of ground beef or turkey. Drain well. Add tomatoes and frozen corn. Add quinoa and cheese and serve.

To view OH member recipes and to post some of your favorites, click here or post your recipes and comments below.
Most Active