Product RANT - Like Licking The Underside Of A Bathroom Tile From 1973.

M M
on 4/2/08 12:52 am
http://meltingmama.typepad.com/wls/2008/04/detour-low-suga.html

Maybe it's because I am in a foul disposition, because, well, that's another post that might not make it onto the blog because I probably shouldn't out that kind of thing that _______ people do.

But, I ate a foul protein bar.  I don't know how it's possible that I didn't try these before and make the connection - because - I they're RIGHT THERE on the sidebar (of my website) as the "#1 Rated" bars "Two Years In A Row."

Maybe, if you've had your taste buds viciously scraped and melted off of your tongue in a violent nacho cheese accident or something, but I don't know how they're #1 Rated.  Just as a disclaimer, because I always feel a twinge of guilt when I really dislike a product, I have WEIRD tastes, and YOUR TASTES WILL AND SHOULD VARY SO BUY THE DAMN BARS ANYWAY, and why are you taking advice from a stupid blog anyway?

So, I bought a box of the Low Sugar Caramel Peanut Detour Bars at Wal-Mart, because they were there, and they looked all lovely and ready to eat, and I was all, "Well, those look lovely and ready to eat, and under 200 calories."

Detour Detour Bars, 12 - 85g Bars - Special Pricing!, Low Sugar Caramel Peanut

They sat in the cabinet for weeks.

I begged Mr. MM to eat one yesterday because I have been avoiding them, just so I could steal a look, sniff and bite for review.  He took one bite, gagged, chewed, swallowed and threw it on the counter. 

"Beth, these are disgusting, you aren't reviewing these, are you?"  Well, I was really excited to try a taste then!

I did.  While the texture was all good - it's VERY thick, very chewy, dense, all that good protein-y business, the taste? 

MILDEW.  It wasn't even whey, it was mildew.  Mr. MM had the same reaction when I went back to him and asked him to define the bars in one word. 

"Mildew."

I gave one to his co-worker, one to his sister, (She probably hated it - she hates protein bars that taste at all protein-y), and I have three left.  Another lesson learned about buying One Bar At A Time, Beth.

• Product:  Detour Low Sugar Protein Bars - Caramel Peanut
  • Purchased:  Wal-Mart - $6?  I can't remember.
  • Pros:  Cheap, widely available, under 200 calories.
  • Cons:  Tastes like you are licking the underside of tiles from the original bathroom from 1973.
  • Rating:  NON-POUCHWORTHY TM MM.
Did you like this "review?"  Subscribe to my feed and have them delivered to your reader everyday.

Jennifer K.
on 4/2/08 12:55 am - Phoenix , AZ
I *love love love* this product - have one in my purse right now for my pre-2nd job dinner. yummo. I like the regular detour bars as well... there isnt much sugar in them so I dont see why they have a 'low sugar' but hey, less sugar Ill take it.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

M M
on 4/2/08 12:57 am
OMG, see?  That's how different we all are.  I truly felt like I was eating mold. (I heart mold, cheese is mold.) But, like, BATHROOM MOLD.  DIRTY **** MOLD.
Jennifer K.
on 4/2/08 1:05 am - Phoenix , AZ
It reminds me of a snickers bar thats mated with a three musketteers and had a love child - that love child has the texture of three musketteers but the taste of snickers... mm haha.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

M M
on 4/2/08 1:06 am
I'm starting to think my taste buds are fcked.  LOL.
gonnadoit
on 4/2/08 12:55 am - MI
I agree!  I had one (of a different flavor), and it was horrible.  In fact, it made me nauseous .
M M
on 4/2/08 12:59 am
I am a glutton for punishment, so I will try other flavors to see if they are better!  LOL.
L. TP
on 4/2/08 1:10 am
hahahhahahahahahhahahahahah ROFL.  This made my day!
M M
on 4/2/08 1:13 am
And, I feel better.
Island Girl
on 4/2/08 3:23 am - VI
Didja check the expiration date? Maybe they were moldy? I like 'em............not as much as I liked them years ago before they changed the formula and updated the label to a close aproximation of the truth but still they will do in a pinch.
I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand ,
        Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
               Life is good today. Life is good today.
Most Active