Lap Band Info? Tricare?

army.wifey
on 10/23/09 12:19 pm - Ft. Bliss, TX
I just started thinking about having the Lap Band procedure done. I am currently looking up info on the prcedure, but have no clue about how to go about to get it done. What is the procedure to sign up to have the surgery. I have Tricare Prime and have no real clue how this works. I've only ever used my insurance once. So does Tricare cover the cost of the procedure and if so.. What do I need to do to apply?
moondancer2000
on 10/25/09 10:26 pm - Ft Rucker, AL
Hi an Army wife here about to have gastric by pass.  You have to start with your PCM and for from there. With tricare you have to be over 100lbs over weight with no co-morbidity's or if you are under 100lb over weight, like me, you have to have several co-morbids.  I have diabetes, HP, gerd, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, spina bifida, hip, knee and back pain.  If they do the procedure at the on post hospital that is where you will have it, if not you will be consulted out.  If you want to talk more, pm me.  my journey has taken almost a year, why is a whole, but I really could have it all said and done in 6 months from the first time I talked to my PCM.

I will live each day in the mindful present

HW 208/SW 197/CW 115/1st GW 130/2nd GW 120
/3rd goal 115/New GW ??/HT 5'2" NO MORE WEIGHT GOALS

relovlee
on 11/4/09 10:04 am - VA
Hi Moondancer..AFwife here in LA, Im going to be 1 yr out in december.. I had my procedure at Wright Patt AFB in Ohio but its a huge base so everything was done thru military tricare never got involved..See mTF's dont have to go thru tricare AT ALL. They just use some of tricare's criteria to approve. With all of your comorb's u should be good to go /w an apprvl. Me I had none and luckliy I had a 39 bmi which barely qualififed me. I think they felt sorry for me..lol But hopefully you'll get the ball rolling fast!!! If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
relovlee
on 11/4/09 10:28 am - VA
Hi Armywifey...Im an AF wifey..I just wanna give you a few words of thought about the lapband and why I wanted it AT FIRST. Well I was flat out against rny from jump. Was scared of the procedure and thought it would be too much for me considered I barely had 100 lbs to lose so I thought I would lose too much and + Id heard a mnay of horror stories about people losing too much and eating right but still losing. So I didnt wanna be a statistic. Well needless to say I was glamoriziing lapband and polarizing rny totally. I figured after the seminar and speaking w/ the surgeon i would figure out whats best for me. My hubby said I needed rny because hey he knows me better than anyone else and he felt that way because i was addicted to sweets i never overate anything in my life but sweets, lapband i would still be able to eat whatever but just smaller portions. So made a list of pors and cons for each procedure..and u know what that worked for me. Ultimately I decided on rny lapband thers a chance yoiull lose some weight and theres a chance not. And this is purely based off of IF youre eating right. No guarantees for it. I didnt like that after i researched it, I was gettin like my hubby surgery is toooo big of a deal not to be sure to atleast lose most of my weight. So Rny turned out to be my choice, surgeon said i would dump on sweets, so i wouldnt be able to eat them. Well almost a yr out now i have tried the forbidden fruit a bit and i can eat it  unfortunately..BUT the thing is 1 cookie is enough, thats all i can eat. Otherwise my pouch will pay for it. Please choose your decision wisely it has to be one that suits u, lapband can slip, and ive seen it happen before to a friend of mine, rny if u dont control your eating you may gain it back so it all depends on what u think would work out best for u..I wish you the best!!!
relovlee
on 11/4/09 10:40 am, edited 11/4/09 10:45 am - VA
Armywifey, s far as starting the process on the procedure...basically you go see your pcm first...then they will have to refer you, if youre on a large post you should be able to have full procedure on post if not dr will refer you out to the nearest bariatric surgeon in your area. Once there you will have to go thru the testing to see what comorbities you have if any( diabetes,hypertension,sleep apnea etc) If none then you will need to have a minimum bmi of 40 or above, If you have co morbities your bmi must be a 35 or above. If you go off post or base you should only have to pay for a co-pay for your stay in the hospital 1-3 days pending on procedure. after youve gone thru your bmi testing and comorbities testing thats it you wait for a date to have procedure done. Now I know some places require 1 year diet, which is horrible they do that but i just wanted to thro that out there. I havent met anyone military thats had to do it but some civilians have. hope that helps :)
Most Active