Tramadol and Tummy Ick

ColoradoHusker
on 2/14/08 3:51 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Before my RNY I was on Celebrex and Tramadol for my bad knees.  Since surgery I haven't taken the Celebrex as I would have to empty it on yogurt.  I was taking the Tramadol fairly regularly but my tummy went haywire so I stopped everything.  Last Saturday I took Tramadol due to severe pain and sure enough my stomach went nuts - stuff settling okay but after much angst, nothing tasting good, etc. Does anyone else take Celebrex with little to no problem and what pain reliever do you take.  I'm going back to my PCP ASAP to discuss this with him. Thanks
NeedHelp
on 3/9/08 5:06 am - Rockford, IL
I take Tramadol all of the time for my arthritis and have not had an issue. I usually take two tablets with a glass of milk in the morning.  Then during the day, I take it with whatever liquid is available. Is Celebrex a NSAID?   Honestly, I couldn't live without Tramadol at this point of my life and illness. KIM M>
kellyanne
on 3/22/08 5:30 am - Lumberton, NJ

I take Tramadol also and it doesn't seem to have an effect on my stomach...I have been warned to stay away from NSAIDS of all kinds...I did use Celebrex...I have psoriatic arthritis...It is like Rheumatoid Arthritis except in addition to the joint pain and damage, you skin is damaged as well,

I take injectable Methrexate on and off...And I have been having a serious problem for the last two days...Ever since about an hour after the injection,  I have been having severe adbominal cramping.  My lower abdomen is so tender that I can't even tolerate a waistband...My lower abdomen is distended and feels very tight.. No diarrhea, no fever, severe nausea but no vomiting.  .I called the doc, and he ordered Bentyl to relieve the spasms and told me that if the severity continued that I should go to the ER... Well two days later the near constant cramping is signficantly better, I seem to be having a very severe contraction like wave of cramping for a couple minutes every hour, but it much better. I have been drinking ginger tea and eating saltines...I have a heating pad on my belly....I have no chance of having a pregnancy related issue nor do I think this is gynecological because I hear my intenstines rumbling....This just seems to be a drug issue....But the drug works very well...I am hoping this cramping thing is a coincidence...not really caused by the injection... I have had stomach problems in the past, related to how slowly foods tranit out of my intestines...They are very slow, I probably only have 2-3 BM's a week, and I haven't had one since thecramping started, but i have passed gas, so neither my doc or O am worried about obstrucitve problems...

quiltz
on 5/21/08 2:32 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I am another one that cannot take tramadol. El Poucho really doesn't like it!  I don't take NASID's so basically I hurt and it if is really bad I use a heating pad or ice pack.  Sometimes one works better than the other.  I am having my right knee replaced next Tuesday and with have the left sometime in the future.  Scared of the pain of surgery, but really looking forward to that new knee!
SHARON P.
on 5/27/08 9:46 pm - ASHLAND CITY, TN
WELL I GUESS BY NOW YOU HAVE HAD YOUR KNEE REPLACEMENT AND I KNOW YOU ARE IN A HUGE AMOUNT OF PAIN. I HAD ONE IN 06 AND THEY WANT TO DO THE OTHER ONE BUT UNTIL I CAN'T WALK ON IT ANYMORE I WON'T DO IT. I HAVE ARTHRITIS FROM MY FEET UP TO MY NECK. AND I GET SHOTS IN MY BACK AND ON LOTS OF PAIN MEDICATION AND LOTS OF DEPRESSION. LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING! ! I WENT IN FOR SURGERY IN 03 BEFORE MY REPLACEMENT AND  DOCTOR DISABLED ME AND I HAVE HAD A HARD TIME AJUSTING FROM WORKING ALL THE TIME TO NOTHING. PLUS WENT THROUGH A DIVORCE AFTER 18 YEARS AND THEN AFTER A COUPLE YEARS MY KID MOVED OUT AND GOT MARRIED. SO NOW I'M ALL ALONE. THE DOCTOR SAID DEPRESSION CONTRIBUTES TO PAIN AND HE SAID IT HAS CAUSED FIBROMYALGIA TO, I'M ON A STRONG PAIN MED, AND A BREAK THROUGH PAIN MED, SLEEPING MED, NERVE MED,  MUSCLE RELAXERS AND CYMBALTA THAT ARTHRITIS IS NO JOKE, IT'S A VERY PAINFUL AND I'M ONLY 46, I THINK THAT'S YOUNG TO HAVE IT THIS BAD MY RIGHT LEG STARTED WHEN I WAS MID TEWNTIES, IT'S A HARD THING TO GO THROUGH   EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE, CONSTANTLY ESPECIALY AT NIGHT IT SEEMS TO GET WORSE AND IN THE MORNINGS OH BOY I FEEL LIKE I AM FUSED. I WISH EVERYONE GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR ARTHRITIS.  SRHAND,,OR   SHARON
mom2sara
on 6/13/08 12:34 pm - grove city, OH
My doctor and surgan say that tramadol is ok for us after surgery. HOWEVER, I always get MAJOR stomach pains after taking it. So bad that I'm hunched over and in tears. After 3 days of taking it, I finially saw my doctor. She said that some people are just more sensitive and after the RNY some tend to have more issues than normal due to the smaller stomach. I have to take phenergin (sp) with some meds to keep it from coming back up due to my sensitivity with meds. Wishing you the best hun.
  VERY proud to have this double century card
432 hi/338 surgery/220 gaol, Current 204 22 months post op
If I don't ever loose anymore that's ok. I'm happy where I am at, weight and in life

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 171 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2425 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3614 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4875 views