Knee Replacements at age 40??

Fran53
on 3/23/10 10:39 pm - Brooklyn, MD
Hi there!

Prior to my RNY in 2005, my orthorpedic doctor told me that I needed a tolal knee replacement in the left knee and by the following year the right knee. That's what got me moving. I knew that I had to get this weight off before knee surgery. I 'd heard that the recovery would be more difficult , weighing over 300lbs. So therefore, my journey began. To put it in a nut shell, the RNY was all I needed for now. Four and a half years later, minor discomfort, lots of energy and enjoying living life without knee surgery. All because of WLS!  I don't know about anyone else but this is what was right for me. I don't know if I'll ever get knee surgery but I do know that I feel SO much better.

Good Luck!

Fran
jmille28
on 3/24/10 2:45 am - Miamisburg, OH
I can't help you with the age thing, but I can suggest that if you have access to a swimming pool, that walking in the pool, in water that is about chest high will help to strenghten you ligaments and tendons and will also give you the exercise you need to help lose weight.  I used this as therapy both prior to and after a spinal fusion and having both knees totally replaced.  I have degenerative arthritis.  Luckily (if you can call that Luck) I was in my early 60's and did not have an issue of age.  I do have an issue of weight, and am hoping that my WLS will help me get and keep my weight down.  Every pound you lose actually takes 4 lbs. of stress of off your knees.
Good Luck and I hope that you get some help soon. 
We must let go of what was if we are going to embrace what is !                                
BriarRose
on 3/25/10 2:16 pm
I too need knee replacement.  My orthopedist will not consider me for replacement until and unless I lose 70 pounds, which is what has lead me to consider wls.  I am in constant pain, having osteo arthritis, and then took a bad fall last month, and took out the few remaining ligaments that were holding things together. 

I am 54, and was told that altho they like to wait, that my knees are replacement candidates, but because of my weight and bmi, I am not a candidate for replacement surgery. 
rbb825
on 3/28/10 2:06 pm - Suffern, NY
First thing, I see someone recommended Mobic to you.  Please don't take it.  Yes, it is a great drug for arthritis but you had a RNY and it is an NSAID.  I took it preop and got an ulcer, can't imagine what it would do to us post op.

Preop, I was told that I needed a partial replacement in both my knees.  Already had 3 arthroscopic surgeries between the 2 knees.  My cartilaige keeps tearing and scar tissue is terrible plus tons of arthritis.  The outside part with the ligaments are fine which is why I dont' need a total replacement.  They can do just the inside of the knee where they just replace the cartilaige area and this has become very common for younger people.  I decided I was too young for it because it makes you too prone for a total replacement but my orthopedist said I was a prime candidate.  I was in my early 40's at the time.  It might be something you can look into.

Since my surgery - lost 100 pounds and 40 pounds several years ago, so 140 in all - I am pain free in my knees, so I dont' need any more surgery on them.  The cartilaige is still torn but they dont' hurt.  I have had many cortisone injections which has helped, tons of physical therapy which helped.  I can't get the synvisc injections because I am allergic to feathers but I have heard they help.

Good luck.

snshine62
on 4/3/10 9:37 am
This the reason I finally decided to the surgery. I am hoping it will save my knees until I'm at least in my 60's.
snoozing61
on 4/3/10 2:56 pm - Apache Junction, AZ
I had both knees replaced.....one at the age of 44 and the other when I was 45,  Actually only four months between the two surgeries.  I have been over weight most of my adult life; Arthritis VERY young; Degenerative Disc Disease since 32 years of age.  I went thru Phys Therapy several times, and had shots in both knees; wore knee braces, etc.  The BEST thing I ever did was have both knees replaced!!!!  Oh what wonderful relief!!!!!  Search for the best doctor you can find, and get it done!!!!  It's better than being doped up on pain meds all the time, (been there, done that). Worry about future surgeries in the future.  Maybe by the time I need something else done, or new knees put in again, there will be even better ones.  For now I'm walking without knee pain, and that's the best part.  I am trying to get some sort of weight loss surgery to help lose the weight.  My knee surgeon told me that no matter how much weight I lost prior to knee surgery, it wouldn't "heal" the damage already done to my knees.  Got the knees fixed first so that I can get exercise after the weight loss surgery.......what an idea.
Victorious_one
on 4/5/10 10:31 am - South Central, PA
 "Word on the street" is that replacements only last 15-25 years before you have to have another one.

Please get a second/third/fourth opinion about what can be done before you go the replacement route.

(Sorry if this is a repeat of other comments.)

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
journey2010
on 4/27/10 8:37 am, edited 4/27/10 8:42 am - PA
I have had 2 total knee replacements: my first at age 50 and my second at 51 (last year). I have never regretted either decision. I now walk without hobbling along and feel much younger.

Both my knees were bone on bone and the left was so worn that the tibia was bending and I had become a bit bow-legged! Shortly after surgery the bone straighten again.

You are very young at 40 to have to face this surgery but I wanted to share that with the right surgeon and doing your exercises, your quality of life could improve immensely

Good luck to you!

...joy

etracer
on 5/7/10 4:27 am - Kent, MN
I would strongly suggest that you keep looking for an orthopaedic surgeon that WILL do the knee replacement. There is no reason why you should have to suffer in pain if you need the surgery. I'm 44, and need a knee replacement, but am putting it off until I lose some weight after my WLS. My orthopaedic surgeon is willing to do the knee replacement whenever I decide to have it done.

As far as exercising, I would strongly recommend working out in a pool. It doesn't matter whether you do water aerobics, swimming laps, or just an exercise regime, you will see an improvement. I can't even think about doing the treadmill without pain in my knees and back, but can easily do 1-2 hours in low-impac****er aerobics classes. Getting a member to the YMCA is the best move I've ever made.

Good Luck to you!!
lostlittlerobot
on 5/8/10 4:04 am - Riverside, CA
I too was told I needed a total replacement. I am post OP RNY but gained most of it back and having blown knees doesnt help. I had several ortho surgeons tell me I had to wait 5 to 6 years as I am 39. I finally found one that said A partial would be something I can do. Then a co worker told me about a medication she used for RA swelling and pain. Voltaren Gel (not the oral as I had the RNY) WOW still hurts but so much less than before.

Hope it helps and good luck

Tifany
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 115 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2354 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3557 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4822 views