RA questions

Stacey1m
on 5/12/10 1:48 pm - Polo, IL
I have RA and it seems my Dr. and I can not find the right meds that work for me. Can I ask what works for you? I had the RYN WLS.

Thanks
Stacey
kylee
on 5/12/10 8:54 pm
I had tried an alternative for that because my dad also have RA. Boil water and add it with lemon grass. High potent anti-oxidant, and could lower down your uric acid level. It could also cut off cholesterol levels.
Health is important!

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/10 12:04 am - Reeseville, WI
I'm using Remicade and Methotrexate.
happydsr
on 5/18/10 1:07 pm
IowaTeacher
on 5/26/10 9:43 am
I also use Remicade and methotrexate.
Nancy

339/161/154
sw/cw/gw

detj
on 6/8/10 9:00 am - Silver Spring, MD
If nothing is working, the first question is "do you have RA as the cause of your pains?" as there are over 100 causes and types of arthritis.

If you have a very good rheumatologist, then you most likely do have RA.  If you don't have a rheumatologist, then make sure you see one to do a complete evaluation and find the correct diagnosis.

Not all RA patients respond to the same meds.  Sometimes it takes multiple trials of multiple meds before the correct combination is found.  RA is an incredibly complex disease with many parts of the immune system being abnormal.  That is why there are so many new medicines being investigated currently, even with such wonderful medicines as Remicade, Enbrel, Humira, Rituxan, etc. being currently available.

Good luck,
Don

gbsinsatx
on 6/26/10 5:18 pm, edited 6/26/10 5:19 pm - San Antonio, TX
I am on Methotrexate and Enbrel. I used to be on Remicade but it did not work for me.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

dlp5510
on 7/1/10 3:37 pm - Houston, TX
Was anyone diagnosed with "RA" BEFORE their WLS surgery?  I can't find a DR. that will give me WLS since I have RA.  HELP???
karemi
on 7/7/10 10:34 pm

I've had RA for six yrs.  2 yrs ago I had lap-band surgery.  It was my rheumatologist who encouraged me to have the surgery. I would not have done it without her approval.   Talk with your rheumatologist and ask for a recommendation to a dr who will perform the surgery.   Many of my rheum's patients have had WLS.  Your surgeon and rheum will have to coordinate your medications before & after the surgery.   Also, your Rheum might have to provide a letter to your insurance to document the co-morbidity.  

detj
on 7/2/10 7:27 am - Silver Spring, MD
Stacey:

The main problem with RA and WLS are that the meds required to treat RA (steroids, immunosuppressants) is that they will increase the risk of postoperative complications such as infection and healing.  However, major surgeries are done all the time on RA patients (while appropriately holding their meds around the time of surgery), and the majority do have good outcomes.  If you understand that you would have this increased potential for postoperative complications and are willing to accept those risks, you can improve your chances of getting the surgery done by approaching an excellent WLS surgeon who will do it laparoscopically, and point blank let him or her know at the onset that you realize your potential for complications will be increased, but that you are willing to accept those risks if the surgery is your only option left to lose weight and therefore improve your other comorbid conditions.

Good luck.
Don

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 107 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2346 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3551 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4815 views