who's had a total knee replacement??

LadyDi50
on 5/28/10 11:55 pm
I'm looking at having one at the end of August, just curious about how painful it is. I just had a panni removal/tummy tuck May 4th, that wasn't bad except for an infection I developed. Otherwise, not painful. Just wondering how knee replacement pain compares.  I dread the idea of another surgery, but it is needed. For those who've had it done, how painful was it? Thanks for any replies!
IowaTeacher
on 5/30/10 11:52 pm
I had a total knee two years ago. I ain't gonna lie...it's painful. The recovery and exercises are painful and the work involved to maintain flexibility and mobility are vital. I'm glad I had the surgery though because I was walking with a cane before surgery and now I am able to do about 4 miles a day. I don't run, but I'm able to walk at a pretty brisk pace. It was totally worth the pain!

Good luck!
Nancy

339/161/154
sw/cw/gw

LadyDi50
on 5/31/10 2:46 am
I'm glad you're doing so well. That's inspiring, 4 miles a day! Pain doesn't sound good though! How long does the pain last? Does it hurt all the time or do pain meds keep the pain under control? I am a big baby, worse so after this last surgery. How long were you laid up before you could get out and kinda get back to a normal life? Thats also one of my concerns. My 8 year old granddaughter lives with me, and when I'm laid up it takes time away from her life as well. I hate the thought of feeling like I'm wasting her life away. Course I realize too, the better off I am, the more things we can go and do together. Sorry, didn't mean to make this so lengthy. Thanks for the info! Good luck to you too. You're from Iowa too, huh?
IowaTeacher
on 5/31/10 8:48 am
Yep...live in Eastern Iowa...you?

The pain is not good, but it's doable. They keep you pretty doped up and that helps.  I had mine done during the summer (I'm a teacher) but couldn't go back to work right away because I needed 6 weeks to recover. And I did need all of that. Count on at least 6 weeks before you're able to feel closer to normal. Ice packs help a lot too.

I was up and walking right away. No choice there! The more you can get up and move around the better.

I agree with the poster who said get the railings and grab bars installed before hand. I put one by the shower and one by the toilet. I also used a walker, a raised toilet seat, and shower chair. Get an apron (tool apron type thingy) to put on the front of the walker so you can carry your junk with you as you move around.

Again, it is totally worth it. I will probably have to have the other knee done within the next few years, but I'm trying to hold off as long as possible.

Keep in touch--I'd like to hear how you're doing!
Nancy

339/161/154
sw/cw/gw

LadyDi50
on 5/31/10 9:21 am
Hi again IowaTeacher! I'm in Southeast Iowa, so we're practically neighbors. I'm glad the pain is at least "doable". Makes me feel a bit better. When I had my panni removal I was on Hydrocodone. That kept the pain away, can't say I had any at all. A little discomfort maybe, but no pain. Wi**** was the same with knee surgery.
Liria
on 6/2/10 6:38 pm
Hi,

Sometimes, I feel some pain in my right knee. But I'm afraid to go to the clinic. What are the signs that I would need my knee replaced? Is it ok to ask any pharmacy technician for some pain reliever for sudden pain?
RoseyK
on 5/31/10 6:13 am - New Castle, DE
Hi LadyDi.....I had total knee replacement in August 2005.  To be honest, it was the most painful surgery I ever had.....Would I do it again....most definately.  I love my bionic knee.  I no longer fall down the stairs....I can walk on the beach with my friends.  I have had other surgery.....spinal surgery and plastic surgery.....nothing compares pain wise with the knee replacement.  The physical therapy is hard...but you need to stick with it to get good results. 

Before surgery, make sure you install a railing for your front steps, and safety rails in your bathrooms.  I also bought a special chair for the tub....that was wonderful. 

You want to be in the best shape you can be in before surgery.....so take your vitamins, exercise and do all the pre physical therapy that they suggest.  Also stock up on lean cuisines and protein bars.  If you have friends that can bring you meals....take them up on it. 

My surgeon says my knee is guarnteed for 20years....and I told him...no this knee is guaranteed for life.  Now my right knee is causing me pain.  I am getting ready to have that knee scouped out to repair two tears in the menicus.

I will be praying for you. You will be glad that you had the surgery. 
LadyDi50
on 5/31/10 9:14 am
Thanks RoseyK! I will admit though, the idea of it being so painful freaks me out a bit! As I've said in a previous post, I'm getting to be quite the big baby! Good luck with your second knee repair, hope all goes well!
RoseyK
on 6/2/10 10:49 am - New Castle, DE
Hi LadyDi.....let me know when you schedule your surgery so that I can keep you uplifed in prayer.  concentrate on how great you will feel down the road.....no more pain meds.....and the ability to keep up with your friends and family.  The  positives so outweigh the negatives...and the pain is short lived. 

**hugs**

Rose
hondar
on 7/28/10 12:46 am
I am just curious about how you would compare the pain of knee-placement surgery to RNY?  I have had both knees replaced (DIFFERENT SURGERIES) and it was truly the most painful and difficult thing I have ever been through..worse than childbirth.

I think it has freaked me out about surgery in general, but I really need the RNY or I will have to have my knees replace again.  Just wanted to get an idea of the level of pain after surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 109 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2346 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3551 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4815 views