Question about knee pain

Amy_Kleve
on 6/21/11 4:55 am - Adrian, MN
I'm 30. My mom has arthritis in both knees. She is 53. She just had a total knee replacement. She needs another one.

I have had mild knee pain for a month or 2. Just a few days ago, it started getting worse.
Pain, swelling, burning and stiffness is getting worse. I couldn't even sleep last night. Even after I took Tylenol arthritis.
The weired thing is it is all of the sudden and in BOTH knees.

Anyone think it is arthritis, or something else???

Any tips, tricks, thoughts are welcome...

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

Stephanie M.
on 6/29/11 11:43 pm
Hi Amy....first off unless your mother has RA, the knee issue isn't genetic, so could be an injury.  Ice is the key with knees, especially.  I have one knee that needs replaced and it is the one I have injured repeatedly...the first time at 14 when my skateboard hit a rock and I went ass over teakettle and banged up my left knee and dislocated my left thumb.  That knee has suffered a lot with tobogganing, skiing, softball playing and 26 years of working on hard concrete floors.  Ice your knees to reduce post-injury bleeding into the joint.  The blood destroys cartilage and lost cartilage is the reason many of us need knee replacement surgery.
If you haven't had an injury, it might be time to see the orthopaedic doctor for recommendations.
I am up early this morning due to pain (primarily knee, ITband and back), it runs my life.  You are young, take care of your joints now so pain doesn't run your life.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Amy_Kleve
on 6/30/11 12:50 pm - Adrian, MN
Thank you,
I didn't know it wouldn't be genetic if it was anything but RA. I will tell her that and get a clarification.
I went to a family doctor. He thinks its my knees telling me they have had enough with the extra weight. I told him I started going to Curves 6 months ago. He thinks that hoping on them every 30 seconds there is putting too much pressure on them. He wants me to ride the bike or do the elliptical machine instead.
He thinks that it is an injury instead of arthritis. Mainly because of my age and because they both started to hurt at the same time. He prescribed me an anti inflammatory.
He said if we did an x-ray we would most likely see some narrowing, but nothing major.
I'm definitely try some ice,
thanks again... I hope you get some pain relief soon!!!!

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

kennethmiller12
on 7/18/11 6:26 pm
I have read your post and in my opinion it might be genetic but it sometime it occur due to our life style and our eating behaviour. I must suggest you to take calciumand protein  rich diet such as milk, fisf, egg green vegetable which give strenght to your bone and muscle.Also do relular exercise related to knee.
dakaramelkid
on 9/9/11 6:05 pm - CA
hi.

I had surgery on 3/4/2011. I was diagnosed with RA in 2004. i took meds for 1 year and it went into remission. after surgery, not only did my asthma flair up repeatedly (I have NEVER had so many problems with the asthma, but the arthritis came back after 6 years. for what reason, i don't know... but it's NOT because I'm more active.. I worked out hard preop and I was heavier.

I went to the urgent care, because the pain in my knee, especially at night was unbearable.

They prescribed me prednisone at about 20 mg daily, and I have to go back every 5 days for refills UNTIL the inflammation goes down.. 2000 mg of Tylenol did nothing and we can't take anti inflammatory.

the prednisone works WONDERS..BUT may slow down your weight loss.. so until the inflammation goes away.. I had to choose, no weight loss over severe pain. the cool thing... is that a side effect of STOPPING the prednisone is weight loss. lol.. be sure to drink plenty of water, take vitamin D, your calcium (maybe a little more than usual) and folic acid to reduce the horrible effects of the prednisone which is a calcium and vit. D deficiency (it takes years of constant usage to get to that point thought). avoid purines (look it up please. too much to type) and rest. walk instead of hard core work outs.. just to relax your joints and reduce the inflam.. so that you may get off the prednisone.

I'm not a doctor, but i have a lot of experience in this issue and i read your story and it sounded like mine. :).
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 101 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2337 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3543 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4807 views