Newbie with PsA

tall_not_venti
on 1/2/12 7:23 am
VSG on 02/23/12
Hi all, I am a newbie with psoriatic arthritis, and I am doing a self-pay VSG with Aceves this Spring.

I take Humira every other week, and my rheumy wants me to hold it for 2 weeks pre and post surgery due to the increased infection risk.

It's neccesary, I know, but did going off your biologic cause a flare around surgery time? Just wondering what to expect. :-)

Looking forward to a brighter and lighter 2012!

Start Weight: 245 Removed my monthly totals, because for me, comparision is the thief of joy.
Dare to believe that this time will be different. You can succeed this time.
nicoleista
on 2/25/12 8:40 am - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
I went off my medication 6 weeks early. I have some symptoms such as pain in my hands and return of psoriasis. I also have achy hips. But I am not at all as bad as when I was diagnosed. About one week ago, I started to get a little worse, and I have been a little worried since then.

My rheumatologist  does not want me to go off of it but my surgeon does. The surgeon wanted me off of it three weeks prior and I made the decision to go off of it 6 weeks early. So I can't really give an answer but I do know the rheumatologist really did not want me to go off of it. He says the risk of being off of it is worse then the risk of being on. The surgeon disagrees. I'm not sure what to think. My surgery is one week away so I will stay off of it but if I wasn't able to walk I would probably fight harder to stay on it.

Hope this helps.
Superfreaky
on 3/11/12 1:23 am
 I did also withhold and around two weeks after surgery my RA was back with a vengence.  As soon as I got back on the medicine I started improving rapidly.

tall_not_venti
on 5/3/12 7:17 am
VSG on 02/23/12
Update: arthritis did flare, and took close to 6-8 Weeks for biologic to kick back in. no regrets, would do it again.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 101 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2337 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3543 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4807 views