RA and bypass

music1618
on 5/15/12 3:33 pm - TX
I am new to the site, and wondered if anyone could give me some advise on dealing with RA and gastric bypass. My surgery date is scheduled June 5th, and I am very excited and nervous at the same time.

I have had RA for 10 years now, and have had problems finding medication that works for me. I have been on Pred for about 3 years now, and contribute most of my weight gain to the drug. Although the drug is helping me move everyday, I worry about the long term effects of it. I have found myself to be hungry all the time.

I am at my heaviest weight right now, and have started to have problems cleaning personal areas in the shower, and decided that was the last straw. Last June my RA doc told me that all my joints were very swollen and I need to begin IV medication. I was placed on Actemra, and for the first time I have not reacted to the medication, and at times feel pretty good. I also take plaquenil and lipator. The lipator is due to the increase in cholesterol due to the actemra.

I am a very active person and have learned great ways to mentally block out the pain. It took me many years to realize I could sit at home in pain, or do the things my body would allow. I learned quickly there were some activities that were needed for my mental health and a little physical pain was worth it. Soccer is one of those activities for me. It can be such a mental battle in order for me to play. Although I am excited to lose the weight my goal out of this surgery is to play soccer without pain, and get off the steroids for good!

I worry about two things with the surgery and would like advise on.
First has anyone been on long term pred and had this surgery? What were the first few weeks after surgery like? Did pain increase? did the steroids make your stomach upset? Was you hunger controlled?
Second for those who are married? Once you begin losing the weight and feeling better did your spouse have a hard time with it. My husband has cared for me for so many years, and I am worried about the effects of this surgery on him. We have talked at length about it, but the unknown is scary.

Please any advise would be appreciated.
Samantha

lisa2job
on 8/18/12 12:30 pm - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
Hi Samantha

I have Psoraitc  Arthritis and  Osteo A.  and  at the beginngs for RA ..  I saw a  WSL surgeon and was told RYN would work best for my size  but he didnt know much about arthritis or the meds that I need to take after.  note one of the meds can not be crushed ,  so that leaves me with injections .....  In reading  and doiing some more research  on arthristis and WLS I was confused as to what would work best for me and if that was the best option.   so I went to see another surgeon that knew more about arthritis and WLS I  was told  to really consider the sleeve due to being able to take meds that I will have to take after the surgery for the arthrtis, I would not be able to take those meds/ pills into my pouch after RYN they would be too rough .      also  note that  loosing weight will help with some joint pain because we no longer have all that weight on our joints  but will not make arthristis go away  so being able to take my regular meds or even  ibuprofen  was important to me , so  i will do a sleeve instead of RYN as recommended by the second surgeon.   

I would check if you will be able to take steriods on the RYN pouch?    good luck hope this helps alittle 

my surgery is scheduled 9-6-12 .... 
henry88
on 1/4/13 2:31 pm

If your condition is really bad than i should go for the surgeries. Some times it is scary because of the side effects but you must clarify all your doubts before going to surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 101 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2337 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3543 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4807 views