The dreaded GOUT

Jenna V.
on 5/23/12 10:41 pm - Guelph, Canada
VSG on 02/15/12
Hi everyone,

I have been having extreme issues with gout.

My uric acid has been high for about 7 years but it was asymptomatic (I did not have any symptoms or ill effects due to it). However, I did not have my first flare up until after my surgery (first flare up in March).

Since then, I have had a total of 4 or 5 gout flare ups. It feels like I have it more often than not and it is EXTREMELY debilitating and painful. It leaves me basically unable to walk. I know an attack is coming because I wake up to a sore ankle and the pain then moves to my feet and worsens within 1-2 days.

I was prescribed indomethacin but it makes me vomit every time I take it, so I gave up on that.

I realize rapid weight loss triggers gout flare ups, as does cold temperatures, as does foods high in purines, so what I am wondering is:

HOW IN THE HECK DO YOU PREVENT ATTACKS AND HOW DO YOU LOWER YOUR URIC ACID LEVELS?

Bree P.
on 8/4/12 2:59 pm
VSG on 06/20/12 with
 I am wondering if I am having my first gout flare up. I will see my doctor this week, but my guess is that drinking enough water will really help remove excess urea from the system, preventing gout in the first place... But I am pretty sure it is too late for that now. I am off to do research and see what I can do! Ugh! It hurts!!
amiamos
on 10/6/12 11:28 pm
 Ive had gout fr more than 7 years, ask your doctor about uloric? its the most preventive gout drugon the market. 
Teresa S.
on 11/17/12 12:41 pm - Waterford on, Canada

I am preop and have had terrible problems with gout, always in my ankle and top of my foot, and when I have a flareup I am unable to walk and am in extreme pain that i tend to take meds that knock me out so I dont feel the pain.  My dr finally said enough and put me on colchizine.  It has made a world of difference

PaintedKitten
on 1/17/13 5:19 am - Bristol, CT
RNY on 02/14/13

I've only had one really bad flareup of gout and it was when I was in the hospital and they had taken me of all my diuretics and started giving me IV fluids constantly. I felt like a water balloon!  And yes, it is painful!! I could barely walk - it felt like I was walking barefoot on sharp gravel. Once I got home and got my water intake (and elimination) under control, the gout wen away and I haven't had a flareup since. Don't take the colchecine any more either.  I just hope when I have the surgery it dosn't come back - you're scaring me a little!  I have my surgery scheduled for 2/14.

Nancy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 101 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2338 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3543 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4807 views