Pre-OP struggling with fatigue on Methotrexate

Pookah
on 4/4/13 4:20 am - Dallas, TX

Hi all.

I'm a pre-op with RA.  Not only am I a fairly new pre-op (three months in), I've only been diagnosed with RA since Valentine's day.

Right now I'm on 20 mg of methotrexate weekly and cimzia shots every two weeks. I've been struggling with fatigue.  I've never been one for naps but now I feel like I could take one at any time.  And it is interfering with my fitness goals.  I'm trying to get 120 min of walking a week but im struggling to get my twenty minutes of walking in a day.

I don't want to stop the MTX.  I think it is helping and it has definitely helped my psoriasis.

Anyone have experience with this and/or suggestions?

Pookah

hamilbr
on 4/11/13 2:10 am - Lewisville, TX

You might want to have your iron and Folic Acid levels tested.  I too, have RA.  On Methotrexate and Cimzia shots.  I take folic Acid tablets (prescription) 3 mgs daily.  and Iron (which I order from Colorado bio labs off internet), along with my other vitamins.  Cimzia seems to have stopped working for me, so will be starting a new injection next month.  But Dr. said we would continue with Methotrexate. 

Brenda

BrienneofTarth
on 4/15/13 1:14 am - IL
DS on 03/26/13

Hi Pookah -

I was dx with RA over seven years ago, and sometimes I still feel like I wa**** with a sledgehammer after my methotrexate pills and Humira shots.  Because you are new to RA, have patience with the treatment plan your rheumy and you have come up with.  Listen to your body, and if it needs rest, you need to abide.  While I understand the need to achieve certain fitness goals for the day, part of the weight loss journey (I'm finding) is also getting enough good rest.  Consider asking your doc about folic acid.  

Best of luck.  Feel better!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 101 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2338 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3543 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4807 views