Lose joints after WLS?

Allie A.
on 7/30/13 10:19 am - Canada
I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought there might be a bit more knowledge about joint health and WLS.

I have heard that when we lose a lot of weight fast, our ligaments don't bounce back as quickly, meaning they are a little more loose for the first year or so. This might look like greater flexibility in joints, or weaker less stable joints. Has anyone else heard of this, or experienced it themselves?

mkvand
on 8/1/13 9:10 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I've heard a lot of posters comment on increased flexibility after WLS, but usually it's because the weight isn't getting in the way.  I sincerely hope our joints don't get looser after surgery because mine are way too unstable as it is.

Bibo
on 8/18/13 7:50 am

Just saw your post. I have extremely loose ligaments and tendons, even prior to surgery, and now, as I have lost weight, I have little ability to hold my body in a standing   position for very long. I wear braces on my legs, both pre and post op. My orthopedic surgeon suggested increasing muscle mass in the quads and hamstring to help compensate for the loose tendon and ligaments, particularly since I have had several bad falls post WLS.

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/13 3:10 am

Never heard of it and none of my  WLS friends have either.  Thats about 20 of us.

56sunShine14
on 3/14/14 3:54 am

I believe it may be that they may seem loose but continued exercise will help tighten and tone the muscles, ligaments and tendons that hold your joints in place.

I have no medical knowledge and any post I place on any board is strictly knowledge from my own experiences and not to be confused with actual medical knowledge.  Talk to a doctor for medical concerns.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 98 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2333 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3541 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4805 views