Should you exercise if you have arthritis?

alicespeaks
on 8/4/15 1:19 am

Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. It sounds simple, but there are nearly 200 different types of arthritis. Inflammation in the joints can cause pain and restrict mobility. Because of this, it may be difficult to determine if exercise is safe or not.

4 Questions to ask if you have arthritis and want to exercise

Devley
on 9/1/15 10:51 am

It is best to discuss with your doctor the type of exercises that are safe.  If/when you do start, be sure to have a form of cold therapy on hand to treat the inflammation in the joints after.  Exercise is great to get the blood flowing, but you don't want the inflammation to build up too much.

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/15 1:08 am

Well yes!! You can exercise if you have arthritis... obviously with doctor's recommendation. The lack of exercise can reduce the hydration of joint cartilage and stop the spread of beneficial nutrients to the affected arthritis pain. People with arthritis also tend to stop exercising due to the pain, but being physically inactive will reduce muscle strength. Weak muscles will increase the wear and tear on joints, which can lead to gaining a few extra pounds and worsen the symptoms of osteoarthritis. Here is a good article which explains how exercise benefits arthritis patients, which exercises are goos, some low impact execises.

http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/pain-articles/knee-arthrit is-exercises

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/13/15 7:11 pm - OH

It is really important to consult an orthopedist to answer that question.  If the arthritis is advanced and the joint is in really bad shape, someone can do additional harm by "exercising through the pain".  

I was one of those people. When I finally saw an orthopedic surgeon when the pain was just getting worse, he chastised me for listening to the "trainer" who told me that if I pushed through the pain it would eventually lessen the pain. The difference in my knees in just a one year period while I was trying to exercise even though it hurt was obvious even to me when he showed me the X-rays side by side!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

theAntiChick
on 1/14/17 2:26 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Auto-immune arthritis here.  I am encouraged to exercise, and do OK if I don't push myself.  Was cleared to do light weights, and signed up with a trainer, but even though it didn't feel like too much weight at the time, I would go home and wake up the next day with a full body auto-immune flare.  I did some research and talked to some physio experts and they said with auto-immune arthritis, they have to start REALLY light with weights.  Like 10-15% of body weight for upper body work and 25% of body weight for lower body.  My trainer was shocked at how little weight it was, but agreed to go along with the plan, and so far we're doing OK, no more flares.  And instead of adding weight every week, we're holding at weights for 3 or 4 weeks before adding more.  It's a delicate balance, because exercise is good and necessary, but for some conditions just a tiny bit too much can set you back so far.  My progress is so slow it's frustrating, but I remind myself that no matter how slow, it's still progress.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 96 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2332 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3539 views