What arthtisis meds?

Kathy P.
on 3/4/05 12:30 am - AZ
What arthtisis meds can we take after wlss/ Thanks for any help I have ostereo in both knees. Kathy
Gail T.
on 3/10/05 4:30 am - Alvin, TX
you need to talk to your surgeon about which ones are appropriate. I had read that you can't take celebrex or bextra etc. I love bextra but surgeon i consulted said it can be used with caution. I also have heard other NSAIDS like ibuprofen etc are out, so guess it depends on the doc. I could not do without my bextra til I have the other knee done.
mtouadjine
on 4/1/05 10:05 am - Waltham, MA
Hi, I take Enbrel and Methotrexate. I have Psoriatic Arthritis and Osteo. I can also take Ibuprofen if I need it in liquid form. Is there a difference in what kind of meds you can take depending upon what kind of WLS you had? I had Lap Band surgery 2 months ago. Good luck. Mel
Brown Eyes KY
on 4/4/05 8:17 am - KY
Celebrex is the one prescription my surgeon approved. OTC included only Tylenol.
judy W.
on 5/12/05 11:51 pm - De Soto, IL
Kathy....my surgeon says NO NSAIDs after wls. I have taken Darvocet (not an NSAID) for many years for my pain and continue to take it after wls. My dose is down because my pain is less, but I just came out of a stabilizer boot for an ankle fusion (20 weeks ago!) and have been taking my Darvocet at the rate of 6 a day since surgery. It works for me. I think you have to find whatever works for you.....pain tolerance is very, very individual. NSAIDs like Ibuprofen, aspirin, Celebrex, Bextra, etc. increase our risk of ulceration and with out little pouches, most docs say don't take the chance. I do take a low-dose aspirin for heart health, on my doc's advice and monitoring. You need to have a good PCP who will listen to you and keep track of blood work and general health and who understands the wls process. Mine is excellent. PS both knees are artificial due to osteo and I've had numerous other bone surgeries due to the disease. It's mean, but I intend to get the best of it! Attitude certainly counts! Good luck to you.....Judy
kerrie37
on 6/27/05 10:43 pm - columbia, MO
I have arthristis in my right knee. And post- op 18 months. And the only Anti- inflammatory, I am allowed to take is Nabumetone. But I am only allowed to take it every other day and no longer than 7 days. There was 2 non-steriodal pain killers that I could take also. But I don't remember them off hand.
Judith G.
on 7/15/05 10:33 am - Palm Desert, CA
Hi, I'm pre-op until Tuesday, and have been on Celebrex. I have been told that it will have to be Tynenol - arthritis, now and afterwards. The pain has been awful because Tylenol anything doesn't help me. So if reduced weight is a big element, then maybe it will be okay. Thanks for tips on other meds. I taught Arthritis Pain Management for Stanford Univ. for 3 years, but pain is pain! Judy
cheryl D.
on 8/14/05 12:56 am - bellingham, WA
Not sure what I took. My arthritis showed up after I had lost all my weight It had been there all along but when I took a fall it showed its ugly head. They put me on something for the pain and something for arthritis and said take it for ten days and if it does not help discontinue. Well it did no good at all just made me dingy.
GayleTx
on 3/4/06 2:52 am - northeast, TX
The only one I can take is a prescription called Arthrotec. I've tried all the others and have had adverse reactions (swelling, ulcers, etc). It has a painkiller and a buffer to protect the lining of your stomach.
kevslilkity
on 3/27/06 11:18 am - AL
I have osteo in both hips. My doc gave me a script for Celebrex, I haven't taken any yet, but my surgeon said I HAD to take it with Carafate. Carafate coats the stomach, helps heal and prevent ulcers. I take tylenol for now. I am just afraid of getting ulcers. I have days I really hurt and I guess when it gets to where I can't handle the pain, I will take the Celebex. Melinda
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 101 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2337 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3543 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4807 views