Degenerate Disc Disease

TeganAngel
on 5/22/05 10:32 am - Smokerise (30 minutes north on I-65 from Bham), AL
Anyone here have it and if so did you have the Lumbar Epidural. If not what has been done to relieve the pain. The weight of my stomach is preventing me from walkin for even 10 minutes with out being in severe pain? Angel Hugs Tegan Angel
Southwest D.
on 5/26/05 6:08 pm
Yep, I've got it, and yes, I've had Lumbar Epidurals. I've had FOUR of them on a regular basis. They do help, but only for a limited amount of time, but it feels good afterward. Mostly because of the big whallop of steriods that is deposited along with the local pain anesthetic. The anesthetic helps in the short term, and about a week later, the steroids kick in......what a major relief. The procedure takes 15 minutes, with an hour recovery at a day surgery center. I get very light IV sedation and it doesn't hurt to have the procedure done. Just be sure you go to an anesthesiologist who does a LOT of these, and be sure you get an MRI done before, so you'll know exactly if it's just degenerative disease, or if there's something else mechanical going wrong with the bone structure of your back. AFTER the epidural, if you're not already doing it, gentle back exercise really does help. I see the trainer at the local hospital fitness center, and do the exercises religiously. It really has helped to strengthen the back muscles, and the GENTLE exercise only takes 5 minutes a day. Start very slowly, I only did one or two reps of each thing for a long long time. If you have time, research the topic of lumbar epidurals on the internet too, there are lots of pain management centers that have great info out there.... Good luck with your quest. This is an excellent pain management pathway that may help prevent you from needing back surgery until after you lose a lot of weight.
mspisces
on 11/6/05 2:32 am - Somewhere, AL
I have Degenerative joint disease in my lower back. Have had 3 surgeries to take disc out and situate 2 and have one at the L4 and L5 region that is wrecking havock on me cause of my 6 inches of hanging skin from my belly. I feel like I am 90 yrs old sometimes when the pain and bending over I have to endure daily. Right now I have Gout that has been plagueing me for the last 2 months and with already difficulty walking due to my bad knees this is the worse. I have had 17 nerve blocks (epidural blocks) done over a 15 yr period and they do work for a while like maybe 2 weeks for me and then the pain starts over. I have a lot of scar tissue also and it is the reason that the drs will not do anymore and also cause my Rheumatoid arthritis has damaged my bones and I have a problem with fragments of bone chipping off and lodging. I hope you have gotten some relief. I have a brace that I wear when I walk or exercise. Maybe your dr can give you one. I had to be fitted for mine and it was not cheap. Or try wearing a high waisted girdle to support your back. Irish
TeganAngel
on 11/6/05 3:04 am - Smokerise (30 minutes north on I-65 from Bham), AL
HI Irish long time now see. I was denied the gastric bypass but BCBS approved the Panniculectomy. Which I paid a little extra to have my upper muscles tightened to help support my body more so the lower back muscles do not have to work as hard. (This nerve block did little to help) But when I had the Tummy Tuck (after what i paid extra it was turned to full tummy tuck) I have NOT had one pain in my back! They removed 11.7lbs from my lower ab that hung (I have photos on the internet of before and after) I was even able to stand in the kitchen last sunday for 5 hours cooking while before I could NOT even load a dishwasher without sitting in my computer charge rolling around the kitchen. This surgery has been a small miricle. None of my other joint I have artheritis in besides my right ankle (which was broke in 5 places so I guess it should hurt) has bothered me since. It also healed my bladder problem I was going to have to have surgery on as well. If you need any information you are more than welcome to call me 205 647 0554 (I have a hard time typing a lot due to having hemroid surgery the second week of october) But I would love to give you information I know you have worked hard to get to where you are at and there maybe be more options for you now. But I have also heard that insurance is going to stop paying for reconstuctive surgery after the first of the year for patients that have had WLS. So you will need to act fast if you have BCBS. Call me if you want. Angel Hugs and Thank You So much for your information! Kim
Sandy_B
on 3/12/06 5:48 pm - Bakersville, NC
Tegan I suffer the same problem. I found such a wonderful Dr. Dennis White. But he is in Asheville, North Carolina. He did the 3 steriod shots and gosh I had a life for 6 months...then they quit working. Then in August he did the Lumbar Epidural. Sorry to say it only caused me to not have any feeling when I had to pee...poop. But nothing to my back where it was killing me. He decided to do a RFL to burn the nerves from my tailbone all the way around my hip inward. He told me my leg would be weak but from August/Sept when he did the RFL I drug my leg with a cain and rolling walker. I got so weak from just doing that in the house I couldn't do anything. I ended up in CCU because my Dr. took the FMS shoulder straining for a heartattack but the test were ok. But I still couldn't use my left leg. But they sent me home and when they "tryed" to get me in the car I couldn't stand up like I had told them before. So I had to be readmitted and stayed 5 days with test after test and still couldn't put my weight on my leg. They released me to send me to Asheville by Ambulance to Dr. Whites office only to be sent to St. Joseph for more test. Only to be sent home with a wheelchair and well wishes. I have been in bed since...I am like you 10/15 minutes and that is it. Dr. Whites assistant called me and told me they were releasing me and I got upset, and sad surely you are not just leaving me in this shape? I mentioned contacting a lawyer and he said he would talk to the Dr. and see what he could do if anything. I had never talked to him like that he knew I ment business, I have took my limit. He called back and said they would do another si joint block. And do you believe that helped some! Then they released me from their care. But something just hasn't been right with them. I got on my pcp to find me a Dr. I am seeing Dr. Kate Trate in Boone, NC now. I am on zanaflex and fentanyl patches but still have major pain issues. Check with your Dr. and see if he can do the RFL. If not get him to get you with a Pain Rehab Dr. that can give you meds to ease you . I know what pain is and when nothing helps I say John 3:16 over and over...when the pain is so bad I have to start it over again. But do whatever you can to try and get your mind off hurting. I was told to think of good times and memories, bu taking ambien my mind doesn't work like it should. I wish you the best, I hope you can find peace, if you just need someone to talk to I am [email protected] Sweet Blessings, Sandy
TeganAngel
on 3/12/06 9:36 pm - Smokerise (30 minutes north on I-65 from Bham), AL
HI Sandra I am just courious how your DDD is now. I was denied the gastric bypass but instead was able to have a Panniculectomy. Which means they cut nearly 12 pounds off my lower stomach that was pulling my lower back inward. Since the surgery I have been able to walk like a normal human being (with the exception of the ankle of knee problems I have as well) I just wanted to let you know that the weight pulling from the stomach to the lower back completely relieved my back. I dont know it this would be an option for you or not but I did want to inform you of this information. I hope this letter finds you well. I hope you have a wonderful, safe and pain free life. Angel Hugs Kim MOndello AKA... Tegan Angel
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 101 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2338 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3543 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4807 views