Not much activity in this neck of the woods...

saderman
on 5/31/04 9:18 am - Arlington, TX
Hi everyone! I am the mom of a mildly autistic 5 year old, which as anyone with autistic kids knows, presents challenges that are different then anything else. I would love to get a forum going here with other moms of autistic kids that have had WLS so we can all talk about our personal challenges. Anyone up for it? -Sherrie
blister
on 6/5/04 7:44 am - Charlotte, NC
Wow! Hi Sherrie, I have a daughter who is 10 and she is high functioning Autistic. She is my love bug. A very naughty girl though. Never a dull moment in our house! As I am sure you know what I mean. Where are you from? We now live in Charlotte, Nc. We moved here 2 years ago so Morgan could be in the school system here. Here there are classes just for kids with Autism. It has made a huge change in Morgans life. She has made huge progress in these 2 school years. I hope you have a very good programme where you are. That is the best thing, a good programme. Well as far as WLS I am scheduled for July 22. I can not wait. Susan
saderman
on 7/17/04 12:25 pm - Arlington, TX
WOW your surgery is so soon!!! Congratulations!! My only suggestion - make sure you do your best to help your daughter understand that you are going to be gone for a few days. My son got SO upset that when he talked to me on the phone and I explained that I was in the hospital, he said, well, FINE, then, just STAY in that hospital! He is an adventure a minute - you know what I mean on that one! I went to a Dallas WLS dinner tonight and took the kids with - my autistic one was mad that he couldnt "ride" the waterfall in the patio area! It would have been funny if he hadnt been pitching such a fit about it. (I am sure you can understand that one too!) But he got off that kick and decided he had to have both arms wrapped tightly around my neck (almost too tightly) til we left, which was much preferable to the hissy fit. Well, let me know how everything goes with your surgery! -Sherrie
caliangel76
on 6/26/04 10:02 am - San Diego, CA
I also have a profoundly autistic 5 yr old daughter...I also have an 8 yr old daughter and a 1 yr old son...never a dull moment...shes not potty trained, doesnt speak (i am teaching her to sign), and still relies on her pacifier...My husband is in the Marine Corps...Although they are normally very helpful and understanding when it comes to her therapy appointments and things, with the time off he has requested for this surgery to care for her and our other children, they were most unagreed...It took a lot for the convincing...many letters from doctors and therapists...and when all was (finally) said and done, he got the time off for my recovery process...So my 5 yr old's perfect little world stays perfect, and all is good...my surgery is on the 29th of this month...Wish me luck!!!
Kathygirl
on 9/4/04 8:37 am - WA
Hi Sherrie, Wow, this seems a bit late, but I just joined the group and found you guys. I have 3 children, all girls, and the middle one, Olivia, is autistic. I think she is considered "mild", but man, I could relate to your stories. I know how everyday is an adventure, as is every outing into the world. Somedays I feel very burdened by the whole thing. I read about people who feel that they wouldn't trade a day of, but as of today, I am not one of those people. Olivia is a gem amoung gems. She is stunningly beautiful (we tried getting her to model so that she could help pay for therapies. She got a job, but could never do it because she got hyperfocused on other things...you know the story), and she is very affectionate to her dad, older sister, and me. She is slowly warming up to her little sister. Very interesting. She is not fully potty trained. No. 2 is a problem. It seems to freak her out. Anyway, thanks for letting me speak. Take care and write if you would like. I love talking with people about it. Kathy O.
saderman
on 9/5/04 12:21 am - Arlington, TX
Hi Kathy, I bet Olivia is wonderful!! I finally got my son potty trained right before his 5th birthday - he still has accidents, though. It will happen eventually. #2 seemed to freak out Joey too but he finally got it. Joey is hyperaffectionate to me and his dad and warming up to his sister also so I know what you mean with that one - sometimes its like, ok, enough hugging already! now that he is warming up to my daughter (who is bipolar) his hugging really drives her nuts! Thanks for responding, and welcome to the board! -Sherrie
Most Active
Recent Topics
advice
Erica Perez · 1 replies · 327 views
Autism Walk of Hope
ScoutMom14 · 0 replies · 797 views
Aspergers Diagnosis
Dixie Chick · 2 replies · 727 views
Hev-b Proteins and Autism
mdochniak · 0 replies · 370 views