My Son Driving???

Kim S.
on 3/19/06 12:00 am - Columbus, IN
My son is going on 18, this May. He is in public school, special-ed, and is in the 12th grade, he has AS ,he is not getting a high school diploma, he will get a diploma of completion , he is real good in math he is getting an A , he is going to try and get a job through ,Vo. Rehab, and get his GED. Will see! This week is going to get his learners permit, (this is his 2nd time) , this time we are having somone reading it to him,(i dont think he is ready to drive) I know he is not mature enough to have it. I would like to see him in an assisted living housing, but no one has said anything about it , and I have asked!!! I am trying to get him on disability , people has told me to try sooner , and now I wished I did. it is a pain in the butt!!! Kim
Robin1957
on 3/19/06 2:23 am - San Antonio, TX
Not clear what your question/concern is. I have a question tho ---- If you dont feel your son is ready to be driving - WHY are you allowing him to take the test?!!! Its a scary thought that someone would be behind the wheel who shouldnt be. ~Robin
Kim S.
on 3/19/06 3:35 am - Columbus, IN
Vo. Rehab, is pushing for this, I'm not saying he will not be able to , he has been driving around a big park (next to no traffic) does ok ,but if a car comes he stops the car, waits for them to pass I think I'm the problem. Kim
MZSEYE
on 3/19/06 4:45 am - Splendora, TX
I know your concern with the driving..Got an 11 year old aspie. As for the diability that should be fairly easy. We have had faith on diability for about two years now. All I did was fill out the app and within 45 days I got her award letter. It May be different when they are already 18 I don't know but I doubt it. Pam
Kim S.
on 3/20/06 7:09 am - Columbus, IN
I the state of Indiana, ALL are turned down the first time or two. Thank You. Kim
Robin1957
on 3/19/06 9:37 am - San Antonio, TX
Ahh - yes, sometimes we moms have a hard time letting go. I know sometimes my sons teachers would tell me something he did in school and I'd say MY SON CAN DO THAT?!!! I admit, I tended to baby him - partly because it was just easier for me to do things for him - Im happy to report he's doing a lot more than what I thought he'd be able to do. Good luck to your son AND you mom! ~Robin
Kim S.
on 3/20/06 7:06 am - Columbus, IN
Thank You. Kim
Most Active
Recent Topics
advice
Erica Perez · 1 replies · 326 views
Autism Walk of Hope
ScoutMom14 · 0 replies · 796 views
Aspergers Diagnosis
Dixie Chick · 2 replies · 726 views
Hev-b Proteins and Autism