Recent Posts

antntar
on 2/15/11 12:00 pm - philadelphia, PA
Topic: RE: advice
Yes...get the help of a parent advocate. They can help you know the rights that you have for your son,make sure that you are getting all available resources, and help you navigate through all of the goal setting and paperwork. They are usually provided free of cost. Try doing a google search for the "parents in charge network" or even contacting your school district.
AMYH-M
on 5/31/09 3:53 am - League City, TX
Topic: RE: Aspergers Diagnosis
I know it has been a while since you posted this, but my 17-year-old son has asperger's .  If you want to talk, I'm here.
Erica Perez
on 4/6/09 2:57 pm
Topic: advice
Hello!

New here...

I have a son, who is 6 and is autistic...

major problems at school..mostly behavioral problems.

Was suspended for punching teacher in the face and now we are waiting on an emergency IEP.,,,

any advice??

(¯`._.•°¤*ERICA¤?¤··]·._.´¯)

(¯`._.•°¤*The best is yet to come ¤?¤··]·._.´¯)
ScoutMom14
on 3/4/07 9:25 am - Loreauville, LA
Topic: Autism Walk of Hope
We are doing our first ever Walk of Hope benefitting Acadiana Society for Autistic Citizens on March 31, 2007 in Lafayette, LA. I haven't been on OH lately as much as I would like because I've been volunteering with ASAC and helping my husband with the Boy Scouts since several dads are having medical problems. I miss spend the time here but my kids will be in college before I realize it so.... If you are interested you can view my son's page or donate to ASAC by clicking the link or the widget on my profile which will lead you to his page http://www.firstgiving.com/reallyroger We are forming a team for each of our children and this is my son's page. My son has Asperger's Syndrome on the Autism Spectrum. He enjoys being a Boy Scout, a member of his school band and reading books. Thanks, Anne
Jacqueline H.
on 11/1/06 5:03 am - Lawrenceville, NJ
Topic: Son approved for SSI!! YAY!!!
x-posted to Main Messageboard After five months of waiting and a new psych evaluation, my 19-year-old autistic/MR son has finally been approved to resume his SSI payments as an adult. (We received SSI for him as a child, but had to stop when my income went up.) I am SO thrilled!! Having his money to help out in our household expenses will be a huge help, to say nothing of being able to do more fun things with him rather than say "No, I'm sorry honey, but we can't afford that this month." What does this have to do with my WLS? Stress relief for one, and since stress contributes heavily to my eating patterns, this is a good thing. Not just in the short-term, either. Now I can relax just that little bit more knowing that if something ever happened to me, he'd already be "in the system" and have some kind of financial support (small as it is) right away. Now, to find a way to celebrate that doesn't involve a big food feast (our traditional way to celebrate ANYTHING...)
Jacqueline H.
on 10/23/06 5:53 am - Lawrenceville, NJ
Topic: RE: HAVE I FAILED THE TEST?????
I think we all struggle with whether we do too much for our kids when they can't do things for themselves. My son also had seizures until the last year, so we never, EVER left him alone. Now we're struggling with what things he can do for himself now that we take the seizures out of the equation. At this point, all we've worked up to is letting him take the garbage out to the dumpster in the parking lot. And goodness knows, even at 19, we haven't been letting the boy pour his own cereal because we don't want a mess to clean up! We were just talking today about how WE are the ones who need to work on that more than he does. You are definitely not alone with these questions.
Jacqueline H.
on 10/23/06 5:47 am - Lawrenceville, NJ
Topic: RE: Aspergers Diagnosis
I know it's been a while now since you posted this, so I'm curious to know how things are working out now that you have a diagnosis? My son was diagnosed with Aspergers in 2000, and while I think he actually has PDD-NOS (another diagnosis on the autistic spectrum), it was such a relief to have ANY diagnosis that accounted for his autistic traits that I was thrilled. We had spent years trying to understand why he had echolalia, perseveration, noise sensitivy, and OCD-like behaviors, but all anyone could say was that he was "too social to have autism." It's been a godsend to have the definitions of what constitutes the autistic spectrum opened up to reflect reality. I know a lot of people feel labels are "bad," but after our experience, I think that knowing what is going on and what you can expect is incredibly helpful in figuring out how to address your child's needs better. Hope you and your family are doing well with this! Jacqi
Dixie Chick
on 8/24/06 9:05 am - War Eagle, AL
Topic: Aspergers Diagnosis
We just got the long awaited diagnosis of Aspergers for my 13 year old son. ANY help, info, or just someone to talk to to would be so welcomed! I have researched on the internet since 2000. I just knew as a Mother that this was what was going on, but never got the right answers! I am a basket full of emotions! Thanks, Lindy
fathy
on 5/30/06 7:49 am - cairo, Egypt
Topic: RE: Today really SUCKS!
hy Jenn im fathy. specialest of autism. from Egypt if u want help from me send me on my emil [email protected] sory im in first level in E course in AUC BUT I HAVE GOOD EX IN AUTISM ABOUT ACADMEC & BEHV SOC. YOUR FRIND
mdochniak
on 5/25/06 8:17 am - Hugo, MN
Topic: Hev-b Proteins and Autism
Research article at http://www.autismdoc.org describes exogenous protein insult and the incidence of Autism.
Most Active
Recent Topics
advice
Erica Perez · 1 replies · 326 views
Autism Walk of Hope
ScoutMom14 · 0 replies · 795 views
Aspergers Diagnosis
Dixie Chick · 2 replies · 726 views
Hev-b Proteins and Autism
mdochniak · 0 replies · 368 views