Wheres all the back packers?

SherrieD
on 8/10/05 11:55 am - Springfield, MO
I just wanted to get on the board and see if I can kick up some activity here... Where are all the back packers? Maybe they are all on the hiking board but I dont see much going on there so let's get this board moving!! I'm planning trip in Nov to Piney Creek with some of my pack buddies(all ladies back packing group here in MO), this is the place I went 2yrs ago that I thought I was going to die before I got out... (so out of shape and fat). This is my victory trip! It should be a blast! Does anyone have any trips planned in the near future.. by the end of the year. Happy hiking! SherrieD 10.12.04 278/183/???
GeekGirl
on 11/8/05 10:08 am - Billings, MT
I'm here! Check out my profile for my "before weight gain" and "after weight gain" backpacking pictures. My husband and I were planning on thru-hiking the Appalachain Trail before I got sick and gained 80+ lbs. I'm hoping I get my lap banding procedure done before next summer so I can get back on the trails without so much pain. The reason I'm not doing a RNY is because of that planned trip - I don't think I could intake enough calories for 5-6 months on the trail with the RNY. -GeekGirl 225/215/Goal :120
SherrieD
on 1/31/06 12:54 pm - Springfield, MO
Hello GeekGirl, So how are you coming along with your surgery? I'm glad to see someone on this board. I've lost 102 lbs. now and have been out on one 2 night trip here in South West Missouri, and a few day hikes. We have a ladies group and we get together with out the hubby's or kids and just enjoy the great outdoors. My husband is just now getting the bug.. he is on ebay all the time checking out everything...LOL At least he asks me before he bids to make sure it's something good or a good deal. I hope you and your husband are able to get your trip to the Appalachain Trail in soon. Keep me posted on that one would love to hear about it. Good Luck, SherrieD
GeekGirl
on 2/11/06 12:57 am - Billings, MT
Hi Sherrie, I'm in my last month of my insurance-required 6 month doctor supervised diet. I've already done all the other requirements (psych exam, classes, speaking with nutritionists) and met with the surgeon, so as soon as they can get my info from the weight loss center, they will be submitting my info to insurance. I've got my fingers crossed! That's wonderful to hear you've lost 102 pounds. My husband *always* has the backpacking bug. In the summer it's backpacking, geocaching, kayaking, and mountain biking. In the winter it's snowboarding & snowshoeing. I gotta get my weight down so I can keep up again! The last trip we took was a 5-day hike on the Superior Hiking Trail and I had to bail on day 2 because my feet hurt so bad I couldn't continue. I had to remind him that I wasn't just carrying a 20lb pack, but also an extra 100lbs on my body that I didn't have the last really long trip we took. I'm a little surprised there's not more people posting to this board, but I guess I don't really see many overweight people on the trails, so it makes sense. -Christine
cmonkey
on 3/4/06 3:51 pm - Menomonie, WI
Hi, I am overweight backpacker. Had a RNY on Feb 15th and can't wait to hit the trails ; again this summer. I have done most of the Rockies in the Unitied States; but I hear the Canadian Rockies are awesome. I love New Mexico! I am from Wisconsin and have never done the Superior Hiking Trail yet. I did Isle Royal 3 summers ago; that was awesome; I carried my 40lbls daughter and gear 5miles; ofta! I also white water canoe. Say Hi if you read this; I like talking to other backpackers Amy Sue [email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics