Peyote

lisawheeler
on 3/17/04 5:28 pm - Andrews, TX
Hi...just getting into peyote beadwork and am wondering if anyone has suggestions. I've d/l'd instructions and patterns. Thanks, Lisa
dazer55
on 3/28/04 6:45 am - Naperville, IL
I took a class at a craft store. I tried on my own, failed miserably. Use delicas, they are much easier to deal with than seed beads. Michelle
lisawheeler
on 3/28/04 7:57 am - Andrews, TX
Thank you for the suggestion! I really appreciate it! Hope you keep trying! Take care, Lisa
pam R.
on 7/5/04 2:38 am - lees summit, MO
Hi! I too would like to do bead work. Mostly jewelry. I have not taken any classes just trial and error, unfortunately more error than anything. I have many $$$ in supplies, but when I tried last to do some toe rings I had some trouble with my eye sight, couldn't see the holes in the beads. I will need to get me a magnifying light, before I try again. I also would like to do the wire and beads things, I can't find much infor on it though. Any suggestions?
dazer55
on 7/5/04 6:29 am - Naperville, IL
I would invest the time and money into a class at a local bead store. They should have both wire and bead classes. I was frustated with peyote stitch to the point I stopped trying. Well I am almost done with my first Amulet Bag. And it looks great. There are some great magnifier and lamps out there. I don't have one though so I am not sure what brands there are. You could search the internet for "Wire wrapping" or "wire and beads." Or you could go to Amazon.com and search for books on beading. For example "Making Bead & Wire Jewelry: Simple Techniques, Stunning Designs by Dawn Cusick" Good luck Michelle
CreativeNative
on 6/10/04 6:13 pm - Nashville, IN
"I've d/l'd instructions and patterns" Not sure what you mean. There are several types of peyote/gourd stitches. Do you know which one you used? Some find it easier to do regular stitch... I prefer the 3-drop method so I can get more detailed patterns. Not much help.. but if you give me more info.. I'll try.
Teri D.
on 1/10/06 9:35 am - El Cerrito, CA
If you haven't taken classes yet, it is a good idea. There are a lot tips that you can get in person that you can never figure out from printed instructions. I taught myself peyote from internet instructions and was doing fine, but it wasn't until I began taking classes that my beading really took on its own personality. It is also a great way to meet others that share your interest. Many bead stores also offer "bead nights" that are not structured around a specific class. Everyone brings their own projects and there are staff people around to help you with decifering instructions. Most stores offer these bead nights free of charge. Of course they aren't apposed to you making a few purchases while you are there. I warn you though...beading is adictive, but calorie-free. Good luck, Teri
Most Active
Recent Topics
New to beading!!!
Sheryl Tilley · 0 replies · 321 views
Knotting... Suggestions?
Jami · 0 replies · 348 views
Hello everyone
Jami · 1 replies · 434 views