Where's the cyclists?

track
on 2/3/04 9:46 am - on the beach down by the bay, VA
If anyone comes across this site, feel free to email me, I am an avid cyclist and put over 8,000 miles in '03 before my surgery. I will be glad to discuss all aspects of cycling to any and all who have questions or are just curious!
edwin M.
on 11/8/04 9:21 am - Heines City, FL
How soon after surgery did you begin to ride ......
track
on 11/8/04 3:05 pm - on the beach down by the bay, VA
Howdy!...sorry about the late reply...but the message just popped up on my email...some time lag...huh??? Aanyway...I was an avid cyclist, even at close to 400 lbs...not very fast, but I was a persistent cuss!...I had my surgery Nov. 10, 2004 and the doc told me to stay off the bike for at least 6 weeks, mainly to make sure the stitches were ok. If I happened to fall or take a tumble he wanted to make sure I didn't recreate the scene from 'Alien"...so I was a good boy and stayed off for 6 weeks...actually 5 weeks and 6 days...just couldn't stand it...and have been going ever since. I love being my own engine. I have even added kayaking to the mix, almost the same as bicycling....going at your own pace, seeing things from a different perspective. I don't ride that much faster, than I did before, but my stamina has increased exponentially...before a 20 mile ride was easy, and now, 30-40-and 50 milers are getting easier. And to think that all I was going to do was ride around the block after supper! Another guy to talk to would be Sketch, he has been riding a lot, I say him up in DC, and he has done an awesome job...looks like he works out all the time...and he talked about doing either a half century or a full century, can't remember which...
Cindy S.
on 6/8/05 2:51 am - Chesapeake, va
I am getting my surgery next month and am so excited about getting back on my bike after the surgery. Like you stated, a 20 mile ride is pretty standard but my goal is by July 06 I will be riding in a century ride up in Northern Michigan. I really like to take a ride from Sandbridge through False Cape and back. My husband and I did that a few times last summer and we also like to ride the battlefields of Yorktown. What areas do you like to ride in the area?
Gretchen M.
on 10/5/05 5:32 am - Bowie, MD
How wonderful to other cyclists. I too am an avid cyclist who loves to chunk off the miles. Even at my 267 weight I can pull together a 50 miler. I am curious about the resposne of your body to the surgery, specifically the ability to sustain yourself on limited calorie intake and how to keep enough fluids flowing after the surgery. I know I have a century in my future!
Most Active
Recent Topics
MS 150 Anyone?
donnainhouston · 0 replies · 333 views
Just found this place!
donnainhouston · 0 replies · 305 views
first time out after surgery
ladydino · 4 replies · 521 views
Day 78 Ride (10/8/2006)
John White · 0 replies · 350 views
Day 73 Ride (10/4/2006)
John White · 2 replies · 426 views