gosh! Where are the cyclists??!!

attagirl
on 11/2/05 10:10 pm - Rogers, MN
It's so sad to see this board hasn't taken off. I'm becoming an avid cyclist. With bad arthritis in my spine, I couldn't hack riding a wedgie (typical bike); so, I bought a Burley Koosah recumbent bicycle. What a load off my spine, shoulders, neck and wrists! I can ride about 25-30 miles at around 10-12 mph. Not very fast, but it suffices at this point. My goal is to get to do a century ride. Daily I ride only about 5 miles. That disappoints me, but it's the best I can do given time constraints. I'd love to chat with other cyclists and bent riders! Anybody else aiming for a century ride? Deantha
beth_in_stlouis
on 11/10/05 9:32 pm - Denver, CO
Here! I am in St. Louis and am very happy to be able to ride my bike again. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to do so yet, but it is wonderful to know I can! A new trail system has been added near my home. It is an urban (I live in south St. Louis city) system, so there is a lot of stopping/starting to cross traffic, etc. But, it's better than no trail system. I enjoyed riding it. Am looking forward to my hubby catching up to me in fitness so he and I take rides together. Maybe I'll suggest we go out Saturday afternoon, which is supposed to be a nice day, weather wise, and bike some place. . . . I have a mountain bike right now, but promised myself when I get down to my goal (150 pounds) that I would allow myself a nice road bike. I am still about 130 pounds from my goal, but expect to hit there some time next spring -- around April. Take care! - Beth
Brian Meiers
on 11/14/05 2:13 am - SF Bay Area, CA
RNY on 08/18/04 with
Deantha, I had wls on August 18th, 2004. I've since met my wl goal and last January, started training again to resume racing my bicycle. I raced years ago, so returning to it is something of a dream come true. When I started training again, I managed short rides at slow paces. I've improved my fitness enough now that I can do long rides (4+ hours) at a much faster pace (20+ mph). Keep up the hard work and it will pay off for you. If you ever feel like chatting with someone that shares your interest in cycling, please feel free to send me a message. Brian Then:280+ Now:145
ogerskinnyman
on 1/5/06 9:58 am - willow grove, PA
sorry to take so long to look over this website. I live to ride! I couldn't for over 15 years, and now I race cycle cross, ride mtb and road bikes,and try to ride at least 4 times a week, and hope this year to try track racing. any mile you can do, and at any speed is great! I tried running, but my back can't take the long jogs. see if there are any bike clubs in your area. ours has several and they all are great at helping new riders get into the scene. keep pedeling!
das451
on 1/11/06 8:24 am - Wilmington, DE
Glad to see that there are others who love the sport of cycling and see its benefits after WLS as I do. In my year since surgery I have logged 2200 miles and aim on riding cross the US in the next year or two. Rode in the Delaware MS Bike to the Bay in September and put in a better time that I did 20 years ago. My team was named Team Gastric which we proudly say is the only team in America that is composed of two brothers that have used the sport of cycling to lose a couple of hundred pounds. I use cycling for conditioning, and also for stress relief. Better to pound the road than your boss. Anyone interested in one of the multi-day rides next summer? I am looking at Bike Virginia, Cycle Across Maryland and an 8 day ride along the Eirie Canal. Went on the Maryland ride 15 years ago and still consider it the best vacation I have ever taken
Katherine A.
on 5/22/06 4:53 am - Klein, TX
I peddle about 9 - 11 mph myself, and am fine with that, drives my husband nuts. he likes to go 20 mph. I went from 5 mpd to 20 and then got some groin issues from a bad position on the seat, and backed off for months. now I am starting all over again. he has suggested a recumbent but I am pretty fond of my 'wedgie' heehee bike. even thought it flat kills my back and arms to use it. I say that every mile counts, even 2 for me today.
Most Active
Recent Topics
MS 150 Anyone?
donnainhouston · 0 replies · 333 views
Just found this place!
donnainhouston · 0 replies · 305 views
first time out after surgery
ladydino · 4 replies · 521 views
Day 78 Ride (10/8/2006)
John White · 0 replies · 350 views
Day 73 Ride (10/4/2006)
John White · 2 replies · 427 views