Okay I'm Scared and Now Don't Know Which Surgery is Best For Me!

livtobeblessed
on 11/23/08 6:28 am
Lap Band on 06/24/09 with

Greetings to all.  Well here is my problem.  I have several medical issues from IBS to Sarcoid.  I am on plenty of meds.  I've read numerous posts from OH and Lapbandtalk repsectively.  First I was so excited about the band because I knew it was much less invasive.  However after finding out that several people are having complications with it from vomiting, to ban errosion, to pain at the port site, chest pain, etc., I started to begin to worry.  So I started looking up my other option which is the RouenY and I honestly to not want to have my organs rerouted for one, but still trying to decide.  Well I started reading the complications that people have with this surgery as well, such as dumping, stomach pain, gallbladder removal, to some more serious issues. So now I am not sure which is better for me.  I already have stomach discomfort most days because of the IBS and I can barely eat anything without some kind of intestinal side affect which is just disabling.  So I am worried that putting a band around my stomach may even cause more discomfort now.  In addition, I cannot stop taking my meds.  I have meds that I take daily and at least two of the pills are huge!  So there's the stuck issues that would definately come up with that.  In addition, one of the meds that I take for the Sarcoid is a chemo med so my hair has come out a little, but I've read with both surgeries people are experiencing significant hair loss!  I'm going through enough without the surgery but feel the need to have it because I'm hoping it will make my IBS issues go away, in addition to some other issues.  So knowing that I already have stomach problems, problems with eating numerous types of foods, esophogal problems, etc.  Is this the right thing for me to do??  I  have two months left before my surgery gets scheduled.  I plan on talking to Dr. Halmi about my concerns very soon.  I'm wondering if anyone has IBS and or Sarcoid and how they are doing Post Op?

Soul Flower
on 11/23/08 7:29 am
Hi Blessed,
A lady on this site was recently diagnosed with Sarc so hopefully she will pipe in.

I feel that I can give you a little background on myself since like you, I also have an autoimmune related chronic illness AND I have the band.

Firstly, I am sure that in your research you have read that the lapband is NOT a good choice for those with autoimmune related issues. The reason is that our autoimmune system can mistake the band as an attack on the body and begin to attack it bringing on a flare.  At the time of my banding, I was mis-dxd with lupus and decided to get the band anyway because I was told that my health could not withstand a malabsorption type of surgery.

Unfortunately, the information regarding the band held true to me. A year out, I had a horrible flare and was eventually dxd with Multiple Sclerosis. I have had trouble ever since from erosion to slippage. I also could not eat so my band is unfilled until I have revision surgery in January. The good news is that there are many with autoimmune disorders who took a chance with the band and have done well. My mothers friend has lupus and have been banded since 2002 and have had no issues what-so-ever, so its a luck of the draw I guess.

At the time of banding I hadn't heard about the DS (duodenal switch). Once I learned about the DS and began to research it, I learned that many with MS and other autoimmune disorders have had the surgery and are doing great. There is even a yahoo group for DS'er with MS and I was able to contact people who could give me their personal accounts of their success.

I then had a consult with 2 surgeons and they both reassured me that people with MS and other autoimmune disorders can have the DS. The difference with DS vs RNY is with the DS the intestines are measured creating what is known as the common channel. My surgeon will leave a longer length so that I can have less malabsorption. I learned that a longer common channel is a toss up in regards to how fast the weight comes off. Many have a longer common channel and lose all of the excess weight in the same time frame of those with a shorter CC. Those who do not usually lose the excess weight within 9 months to a year. I did not mind that just as long as I lose it.

Just wanted to share a little info. that you can later research to help with your decision. I wish you the best as I am sure that you will do what is best for you.

Que

Motown's Finest
on 11/23/08 9:55 am - MI
Hey Que,
How is your Mom doing?...I was thinking about both of you the other day.. The lady's  name is Lisa  with the scar...she had her surgery last monday.. She posted early in the week and she is doing fine..
"Criticism like rain should be gentle enough to nourish man"      
" I'm Motown's Finest and I approve this message"   
Soul Flower
on 11/23/08 12:18 pm
Hey Joyce,
Mama is doing great. I added an update and some pics of her physical therapy in my profile.

Thanks for the info about Lisa.
livtobeblessed
on 11/24/08 8:27 am
Lap Band on 06/24/09 with
Thank you so much Que, this is very  helpful information.  I too have run accross some people on one of the Lap band sites who have IBS and Sarcoid and are doing well.  I do not believe my insurance will cover the DS.  Only the LapBand and RouenY and revision surgery.  So I only have the two choices.   But I will definately talk with my doctor because I have stomach pain often and am really worried about having complications with the band being around my stomach now.  Before I wasn't thinking about it but that is before I read about the complications that many people are having with it.  Yes like you said it really comes down to how well your body will tolerate such a drastic change.   My concern is years downn the line.  So, I pray that I can have something done and I guess if the best option will be RNY, then so beit, but I am just a bit scared of both  now and I want to stay positive.  If I didn't already have so much discomfort with my stomach as it is, I probably wouldn't be so afraid. 

Thanks again for your response.

Gina
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 181 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1125 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2012 views