The Black Co-worker

caramel_2
on 12/2/08 10:35 pm - New Haven, CT
Good morning All,

Since the board is good for sorting problems I figure I'd shoot it out to you.  I work in a small office and my organization was a start up Economic Development office...blah blah....Basically when I started it was just me and my CEO...ground up..so her and I have grinded together form day one she is the best boss a little moody but still a great person, anytime I need to leave for my children she never has a problem with it or even personal things that I need to do, and to top that she is not a micro-manager she basically lets me do me WHICH I LOVE>>!  A few months ago we hired a brother for a SENIOR level position he is a bit of a control freak, but I don't have to deal with him on that level.  Him and I talk and laugh and share stories about r kids and such, however he does not like the way my CEO handles some of the office things like budgets, confrences...yada..yada...yada... so he comes and vents to me about her to some extinct I have listened to him vent and how HE thinks things should go...but I have to admit it's getting SUPER uncomfortable.

I think he thinks because we are black( the only 2 in the office) that we r some kind of undercover comrades. ...this may sound harsh but I like my boss...she's not black or white....she's middle eastern...her skin is like and olive complexion, sorta looks Greek..anyway my question is.. How should I deal with this.?..now keep in mind in addition to being her assistant I am also the manager of the office as well. 

(Sidenote) Now I am all about my people but sometimes WE are not right about certain things......

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely who others think you are!

Its_My_Season
on 12/2/08 10:44 pm - IL

Tell him you're uncomfortable talking about your superior. If your boss found out, you know she would be pissed and your job could be in jeopardy. Let Mr. Senior Level chat all he wants...to someone else.

caramel_2
on 12/2/08 10:47 pm - New Haven, CT
well that's the thing I think he automactially thinks that because we share the same skin color he can vent to me...why do "us" always think that "we" share the same feeling about things?

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely who others think you are!

Its_My_Season
on 12/2/08 11:54 pm, edited 12/2/08 11:54 pm - IL
I'm feeling you but try your best to IGNORE him. He don't sign your checks, pay your bills or snore in your face...you owe him NOTHING. I'm just a meanie  so give me his number....I'll tell him.

I can't even address the black factor. All of the offices I've worked in have been lean on minorities, but I've always been that Sista who only knows the color green when I'm at my gig.

TheJuice
on 12/2/08 10:47 pm - Frozenville, MN
He needs to be checked at the door. Sounds like he wants HER position.  The longer he vents to you, the closer shyt is going to hit the fan and he will expect you to back him up.

caramel_2
on 12/2/08 10:50 pm - New Haven, CT
Exactly Juice!! I think he thinks I will have his back which is so not the case i have a hard enought time having my "own back"!! LOL LOL ...the funny thing is that she is from baltimore and I don't expect her to stay for the 5 yr period I think she was just brought in to get this up and running...I think he secretly thinks he will be taking over..little does he know that he is ******g her the hell off with his arrogance!

# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 12/2/08 10:48 pm
Gotta go with the previous - that's a political set up right there - might be testing you to see what YOU will say - then run back to her and tell it......

had some shady shiot like that happen to me back at my last gig - blackballed me totally......

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

caramel_2
on 12/2/08 10:55 pm - New Haven, CT

Funny thing is he does not know that she can't stand him!! When he talks about her I just say stupid **** like oh,,,well u never no...umm...yeah...really.....If that MOFO caused me to lose my job I would put some roots on his black ass and he would be in a wheelchair!! then he won't be able to make it here..since out tall ass building really is not handicap asscssible....LOL I know I'm an ass!

mstanyat
on 12/2/08 10:59 pm
Caramel- I would politely tell Homie that if he has issues with her to discuss them with her and leave you out of it.I guarantee if the **** hit the fan between him and her, he would somehow drag your name into, I could see him saying "Well I'm not the only one in the office that feels this way there are other people that feel the same as i do. Yall can talk about family and kids and all that good stuff, but let him kick the drama to someone else.

Highest weight 302...Current weight...183
an official member of "The Onederland Club"

caramel_2
on 12/2/08 11:02 pm - New Haven, CT
Tanayat,
U are right but I have a problem saying things to people without hurting there feelings people say I am 2 blunt...I need a lesson in tact before I say something to him...any suggestions on that?? LOL LOL

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 181 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1125 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2012 views