Iron Infusion??????

ShowStopper ..
on 8/3/09 2:06 am
So I am off to the hospital to have my iron infusion.  Has anyone had to have this?  Did it help your energy level?  How many times did u have to have it?   This is my first time....will get back with you later tonight to let you know what happened and why I needed this, if feeling up to it.

When you devote yourself to achieving your goal, you will not be bothered by shallow criticism.

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/09 3:47 am - syracuse, NY
I have had them dozens of times.....and yes they do help big time with your energy level.....just wanted to add that wls isnt my sole reason for having so many infusions... I have other health issues that contribute to my anemia
ShowStopper ..
on 8/3/09 10:14 pm
Thanks, yes I am very weak.  I have a hardtime with my workout, just getting out of bed.

When you devote yourself to achieving your goal, you will not be bothered by shallow criticism.

Carol *
on 8/3/09 5:20 am
Hi SS,
I've never had iron injections before, but I may need to have them.  What was your hemoglobin level?  Mine was 6.8 a couple of weeks ago.  Let me know how it goes...
ShowStopper ..
on 8/3/09 10:21 pm
Hey Carol, hope you have gotten your iron up.  My was 6.3.  I take 325mg of iron per day.  Thanks

Dedee
on 8/3/09 9:04 am - Home Is Where, The HEART is, Midwest
Never had it....refused it.....they need to find out why your iron is low!!

There has to be a reason ~feel better~

I focus not on my disabilty; my focus is on my ABILITIES.  
(Dedee, 2009)              

My hearing impairment ENABLES me, not disables me.
(Dedee, 2008)

~Dedee   

ShowStopper ..
on 8/3/09 10:12 pm
GM Dedee, so what did you do to improve your iron levels if they are very low?  I am currently on 325mg of iron 3 times per day.

Because of the problems yesterday, I will have to have a backup plan:
Items for my grocery list today.
  • Liver and other meats
  • Seafood
  • Dried fruits like apricots, prunes and raisins
  • Nuts
  • Beans, especially lima beans
  • Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach and broccoli
  • Blackstrap molasses
  • Whole grains
  • My friend also mentioned SS Tonic 

Dedee
on 8/4/09 3:48 am - Home Is Where, The HEART is, Midwest
I escaped death LOL...really I had a blood transfusion....I am anemic naturally due to a sickle cell trait...then i have gastric/peptic ulcers....so I was bleeding internally....after the transfusion I was put on Iron tablets I NEVER take ~I'm so damn bad~

However, not a day goes by that I don't eat green veggies.....though I want to cut back on beef....I can't.....I need red meat for my iron level...

I also cook in an iron-cast skillet.....I have totally up'pped (it's my word LOL) my water intake....and though I hate spinach....I eat it!!!

since I don't care for some the bean suggestions by the nurse.....I put them in salads....like those legume things ~gag~

I also try to eat some type of nuts, except human ~roll eyes~ once or twice a week.....how is my iron level....

well, it's higher than a 6 (I had dropped to 4.0 when I almost died)....but lower than 10....they will not let me get below 8......and prefer I am a 12.....I really need to get me some more iron tablets...Bree told me some good ones....mixed with calcium.....but I forgot the name.

I focus not on my disabilty; my focus is on my ABILITIES.  
(Dedee, 2009)              

My hearing impairment ENABLES me, not disables me.
(Dedee, 2008)

~Dedee   

ShowStopper ..
on 8/4/09 4:20 am
Dedee, I take the pills, although they constipate you.  I am really going to start overloading on the green veggies, started today. I will have to try the cast-iron. I drink lots of water too, I like beans and peas, love nuts both kinds .  Thanks D

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/09 9:29 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
I have had an iron infusion during my pre op diet 4 years ago, when I lost a 20 pounds in one month almost starving preparing for my surgery...and I had a SEVERE allergic reaction, this was one of my reason for NOT getting RNY I was too scared that my iron levels would drop further from malabsorption and that sealed the deal for me to get my lap band.

But many people have gotten them and do fine, hopefully yours will not that bad, good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 182 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1127 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2013 views