Zero Carb Flaxseed Bread Recipe

W95831
on 3/30/12 4:57 am, edited 3/30/12 12:00 pm - CA
I have been doing some searching and found an easy zero carb bread recipe.
The recipe is for a focaccia style bread (spread thin, then cut into squares), but to simplify,  I oiled a loaf pan and used that instead.  The bread turned out looking like a regular shaped loaf.

The original link where I found the basic recipe is here:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/flaxbasicfoc.htm

I did some tweaks (less oil for a dryer bread, etc), but you can certainly experiment.
My grocery store didnt sell flax meal, so I bought seeds and ground them in my mini blender.  It worked just fine. 

Here's what I used to make my bread:

Ingredients:
·         2 cups organic flax seed (grind flax seed in a blender/food processor)
·         1 Tablespoon baking powder
·         1/2 teaspoon salt (heaping)
·         4 eggs
·         1/2 cup water
·         1/4 cup oil (olive or coconut work very well)
-         OPTIONAL - 2-3 packets of artifical sweetener (stevia, etc)

Preparation:
1.     Preheat oven to 350 F.
2.     Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper, aluminum foil, or a silicone mat.
3.     In the large bowl, whisk egg, water, and oil together.
4.     In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together.
5.     Add dry ingredient mixture into the wet, combining until ingredients are JUST mixed. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter. 6.     Pour batter into/onto pan. Do not leave it too long because it gets more difficult to spread the longer it sits. 
7.     Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.
8.     Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. Slice and layer in foil in a storage container and refrigerate. This will reduce/eliminate the "soggy" appearance and texture.

To make crackers, I sliced the finished bread very thin, layed the slices in individual layers on a cookie sheet, then placed in the oven on WARM (or 200 degrees) for a couple of hours until the bread was dried out and crisp/crunchy in texture.

The nutritional info (depending on your ingredients) is approx 130 calories, 6g fat, 5g carb, 5g fiber (0 net carbs), 6g protein.

The bread has a kind of nutty, very slightly eggy flavor, but is soft and fluffy.
The crackers worked quite well with my tuna as well as my egg salad.  I havent tried it as a sandwich bread yet, but the flavor and texture looks like it'll work well.

Enjoy!
Getting back on track 10yrs later after a REGAIN of approx 35lbs
Surgery weight:  277lbs             Goal/maintenance weight: 135lbs

MSW will not settle
on 3/30/12 9:51 am, edited 3/30/12 9:52 am
Sounds good.  I bet a little unflavored protein powder will improve the soggy/ eggy texture.  I'll let you know. 

One question:  How many servings for this recipe?  Forgive me if I missed it.  I see the calorie count but not the number of portions. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

W95831
on 3/30/12 10:43 am, edited 3/31/12 5:40 am - CA

Oops!  I believe the site lists 12 servings/slices.

Edited to add:  I slice mine thinner, getting 16 (30g) slices (and fewer calories etc).
The thinner slices net the following nutrition values:
Calories:  120
Total Carb:  5g
Fiber:  5g
Protein:  5g

W95831
on 3/31/12 8:59 am - CA
I made another batch today and tried your idea of half flax and half protein.  The color of the bread is lighter and the flavor is nutty and mild.  Love it!!!

I did the recalc on the nutrition info (using Unjury unflavored protein and 16 servings):
Calories:  125
Fat:  7g
Total Carb:  3g
Fiber:  2g
Protein:  15g

Loaded with protein and only 1 carb!!

MSW will not settle
on 3/31/12 10:45 am
AWESOME!  I'm pretty sure I have enough flax in the freezer to make both versions.  Looking forward to it. 
Thicklin
on 3/30/12 11:47 am - TN
VSG on 04/23/12
This sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 206 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1150 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2062 views