Geez, Louise!!!

considering2012
on 6/28/12 11:40 am, edited 6/28/12 11:44 am
This is a semi-long story but I'm so hot right now. My husband keeps telling me not to worry but my brain is on 24/7 so that won't work.

Back in May, I had a consult with the surgeon to discuss gastric sleeve. I decided to go forward. A week later, I did a sleep study. My insurance doesn't require it, the doctor does. She has yet to explain to me why.

Before the sleep study, my surgeon asked me some preliminary questions relating to sleep apnea like if I fall asleep during the day at random (no), has my husband ever told me I snore (no), am I tired during the day (no), etc.

I go to the sleep study anyway (although I think they're BS and by the end of the story, you'll understand why). I have panic disorder and taking a test to see if you are dying every night isn't the most calm-inducing situation. During the study, I was chest deep into a full panic attack, not to mention the fact that I don't appreciate paste in my hair (I make my living off of my hair and I don't want unknown substances in it).  Further, I don't sleep on my back and they must have had the A/C at 20 degrees in there because I was literally shivering all night.

In short, I didn't sleep a wink at all. I heard every word that came from the television. I heard every footstep going up and down the hall. I heard every giggle from the techs at the front desk. I heard every flush of the toilet. I simply was not asleep. I just laid there all night. At 5:30-ish the technician came to tell me I could leave.

I get a call a week later saying I only slept 40 minutes. OOOOKKKKAAAAY! So right there my BS theory is confirmed. Anyway, they want me to come back and take another one, presumably so they can feign sleep apnea and get my insurance for the cost of the CPAP. Before I go further, I should say that my surgeon's business office and this sleep center's business office addresses that are curiously similar to one another and both offices are more than several miles away from the surgeons office and the sleep center I went to. However, the hospital the surgeon is affiliated with is within elevator-distance from her office and they have a sleep center but they didn't use that one. I'm not making allegations but I do know how to connect dots.

Anyway, I told the sleep study receptionist that I wouldn't reschedule a test because by that time I already had my approval letter and I still didn't see a reason for it. I went to see the surgeon yesterday and basically told her I don't see why I need another sleep study. She said that the sleep center never gave her my report but nonetheless it doesn't matter how long I slept as long as I didn't have a bunch of episodes.

Today, I get a call from the sleep study receptionist again asking if I spoke with the surgeon. I told her I had and she said it doesn't matter how long I slept, as long as I didn't have any desaturation episodes. The receptionst says, "but you only slept 40 minutes." I replied, "well did I stop breathing?" Receptionst: "well ACTUALLY you did."

Okay, stop.

Thank you, receptionist, for confirming my assertion that sleep studies are largely BS and another way for somebody to get paid. It's bad enough that they make people sleep on their back because (and this is a direct quote from the technician), "it will make the apnea happen."

You don't say? So you are running a test on someone wherein you've already decided to skew the results in your (the sleep center's) favor? I'm a stomach sleeper. That's the only way I can sleep. Only way I've ever slept. So if the goal is to procure accurate test results, why are you asking someone to test in a position that goes opposite of their natural sleeping position?

I digress. The receptionist then says that they sent the results to the doctor on June 18th. Okay, let's plot this out. Sleep study on May 16th-ish. They called me the first time around May 22nd trying to get me to do another study. Then, they wait to send the results to my doctor until June 18th. Today, I'm told (by the nurse) that they faxed over the results 3 or 4 minutes before I spoke with the surgeon's nurse. Uhm....WTF is the problem? The truth only has one version of the story.

What concerns me is that if the receptionist is willing to lie to me about me, who knows what they are going to put in my report to the physician.

I didn't tell her that I never slept. I consider that my big gun. I'm not going to whip it out until it's time to. Needless to say, this has left me with a sour taste in my mouth about the whole thing. Either way, I talked to my doctor's nurse after my exchange with the receptionist and I told her that under no cir****tances are they to send me back to that sleep center. She said it's no problem but we'll see.

One of my issues that I feel that a physician needs to explain the reasoning behind the tests they order. If my insurance doesn't need it, why (in the physician's own words) am I taking one? The surgeon's insurance coordinator tried to explain but it was so pitiful she gave up midway and just suggested I talk directly to the doctor. Secondly, don't lie. Don't make up a disease if there isn't one just because _______________________.

In the words, of Phil Collins, it's in the air tonight.

I don't know if I should start looking for another surgeon or what but I'm certainly leaning in that direction.

BTW- Anyone know a good surgeon that takes United Healthcare in the Far North Dallas/Plano area?

MSW will not settle
on 6/28/12 11:22 pm
My surgery was scheduled about six weeks after my initial visit and I cancelled it two weeks prior because I did not trust the office bull**** the surgeon allowed.  His nurse practitioner wife thought she was running my health care show.  He is an excellent surgeon; has operated on family; and is the choice of staff doctors having wls.  Still, this was not for me. 

If you are uncomfortable
you have a problem.  The resolution is get things straight directly with the doctor bypassing the office staff.  No resolution?  You have some contemplation ahead. 

Are you willing to live with this situation over a long term relationship?  Should you have more involved follow up needs, do you trust this wls practice to care for your best interests?  In your geographic area will you have your choice of other surgeons willing to take you on if there are complications and you are not confident in this surgeon's approach?  

The UHC provider directory (sign in to ensure you get providers for your plan type) will give you a list of options available.  You can also call to the surgical pre approval/  managed care line for other surgeons in your plan.  They want to pay for another sleep study even less than you want to take one. 

I delayed six months in the end but transferring my approval from one doc to another with UHC/ BCBS was a non event.  I picked up my file and hand delivered it to the new surgeon.  Different hospital and in another state.   They re submitted my paperwork for immediate approval.  Nothing had to be re done as all tests were current within six months. 

Go with your comfort zone.  Hopefully your outcome will be as good as mine what ever you decide. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 187 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1131 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2022 views