New Here... Considering VSG or band

terria1202
on 10/17/13 12:23 pm
Hi All,

I'm a newbie considering wls. I had my seminar yesterday and I'm planning to move forward with my plans on having the surgery. I'm just unsure about which procedure is best. I have several friends that had the band and loss a substantial amount of weight and looks great. I have on co-worker who had the bypass. She looks great weight wish but her face is becoming skeleton and her hair is coming out.

About a year or 2 ago, I was 308 pounds and loss 100 pounds on phentermine but since then I gained 74 pounds back. Now, I'm here considering the weight loss surgery but I want to select the best option for a lifetime and not a moment.

I was hoping to find some support groups with individuals that have had the band and sleeve. In reading some of these post, most people with the band has gained a great portion of the weight back after several years and considering reversal.

I just need help.....

Btw... I don't plan to have the surgery until 2014 and my current weight is 274 pounds.
(deactivated member)
on 10/18/13 1:59 am

Terria1202, I had gastric bypass in 2007 and gained most of my weight back. Despite serious exercising and eating right, I was only able to lost 85lbs. I have since learned that the Duodenal Switch would have been a better option for me instead of the RNY. I have read on other boards that the LapBand has caused major problems, thus, causing them to have to have a revision to an RNY or another procedure. All I can tell is to look at other forums, do your research, and make the best decision for you.

terria1202
on 10/18/13 7:10 am

Thanks Hopeful!

I am to planning attend the Saturday seminars.  Most of the individuals at the support group/seminar are individuals who previously had a surgery.  From my understanding they discuss their difficulties, give advice and discuss positive things.  The only issue I have with the seminars are they are conducted by the hospital where I would have the surgery at.  I just want independent individuals to give me feedback on their experience. 

Now that I have been educated a little more, I am leaning towards the sleeve.  I am just really scared because I am planning to remove 1/2 my stomach.

I know what my plan is but I just want to be completely knowledgeable about what to expect.

dstgirl2000
on 10/21/13 2:04 am

Hi Terria,

You are on the right track in conducting your research.  It's crucial to making a decision that is right for you.  Read...read...and read some more.  It's also essential to have this conversation with your intended surgeon for them to weigh in on which procedure would best suit your needs and desired outcomes.

I'm 4 years RNY post op.  I'm totally pleased with my decision and the outcome.  I met and exceed my goals in about 8 months, and have maintained my desired weight since.  I lost a little over 130 lbs.  I bounced back ten pounds, but that was well within my wiggle room I gave myself. At my lowest I did have that extreme bobble head look and in my face, so I'm good with the ten pounds.  I did also experience extreme hair loss for a couple of years.  Though I had another illness that may have contributed to the hair loss as well.  But as of today, my hair has grown back in and is doing well.

I have no experience with any of the other procedures, so I can only speak from others I have observed.  A close male friend of mine had RNY also and lost about 250 lbs about 6 years ago, and has regained all.  There are two ladies I work with that had the band, and neither reached anywhere near their goals.  They are about 3 and 6 years out, and both lost about 50 lbs each.  Another acquaintance had the switch and lost well over 225 lbs about 6-7 years ago, and has gained all back plus more.

So you see there are varying stories and outcomes from all procedures.  My take and belief is that none of the procedures will get you to your goal and maintain you unless you are committed totally for a lifetime!  It's not a magic save all, but it is a great tool that will certainly afford you the opportunity of a lifetime to reclaim your health!  It's up to us to make it happen and keep it working for us.

I wish you well on your journey to better health!

Keep it moving!!

JJ

terria1202
on 10/21/13 4:42 am

Thanks @dstgirl2000!  I am scheduling an appointment with my surgeon.  I am absolutely nervous but I am moving forward with my plans to have the surgery.  I no longer can think in the moment but for a lifetime. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 182 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1127 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2013 views