GUILT AND WASTE

cyndi_jk
on 5/28/13 4:21 am - hi hat , KY
VSG on 11/30/12

I find myself saving food like doggy bags, even my lunch which is not a bad thing, but then i end up eating it a few hours later. My father was one of 13 kids yes 13 they lived really hard.  I am an only child and I guess that explains why...lol... But as a child I was made to clean my plate " if you get it out you are to eat it ". I can remeber sitting for hours at the table. Don't get me wrong i was not abused but that is meshed in my brain. I saw him start this with my daughter when she was a toddler and I went off she has no wt. problem but I have always had one. I feel so guilty when I throw away food and if i don't  I end up eating it. I have tried over the past week and a half to throw it away. I'm doing good with it so far not great but good. does anyone else have this problem??

hugs and blessings

cindy

71dart
on 5/28/13 5:16 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
Yes, it was really difficult for me to let it go, but I am better. Now I need to work on not getting too much food in the first place. For some reason I feel like I have to hurry and grab as much as quickly as possible or it will run out. Then I look selfish with a plate of food I can't eat, but at least I can throw it away.

I had a similar problem recently with hanging on to ridiculously oversized clothes. Someone told me to try them on so I did and accepted how silly they looked and tossed them. It wasn't easy.

Tom

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/28/13 7:14 am
I had a revelation about this a while ago: it is wasteful for me to eat past my body's needs.
For those of us raised to clean our plates, it is a hard habit to break but a necessary one.
I don't think eating your leftovers is a problem as long as they are on plan and you eat them as a meal, not just grazing out of obligation. If it is something that would freeze well, freeze it and take it out when you are in a rush so you have a portion controlled meal.
I frequently freeze dinner leftovers for when I am crunched for time.
My uncle was extremely abusive and controlling around food and I have worked hard to be sane around food. I find it helps me to remind myself that there will be more food later.
Take care, hon.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Imakitekat
on 5/28/13 6:33 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13
Hi

My grandma used to always tell me, waste what's on your plate or the waste goes on your body. Scary when you think of it that way. Can you save the food and freeze it? Or share lunch with someone who is also trying to watch their weight, take turns making lunch? Buy one meal and share? I know it is hard and I am going to have a difficult time with this after my surgery. Hope this helped. Sounds like you are doing great!
Smiles
Lisa
bekahler
on 5/28/13 11:13 pm - Parkville, MD

I am just a lurker on this board but I wanted to give you my 2 cents on this topic...I like to think of it this way..its all going to go down the drain one way or the other, either you throw it down the disposal or you **** it out. This is a rather gross idea but in reality it is true. Every time my girls ask me if they have to finish something or if its okay to throw food away I always say "SURE!" It's all going down the drain one way or the other! No need to have it leave it's mark on your thighs, let it clog the pipes instead! 

Best of luck wrapping your mind around a new idea...hoping this imagery may help! :)

"There are no Strangers Here, Only Unmet Friends" ~Helen Keller        

mickeymantle
on 5/29/13 1:34 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

many of us have that problem ,parents that grew up in the depression and during ww2 where there was not enough food

I give my left overs to my hubby and my dog , my son will not eat them

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active